CNET Editors' review
Chasys Draw IES Artist is a free, full-featured image editing and drawing program that does what big-box programs like Adobe Photoshop can do, with a few unique touches that set it apart and actually make it easier to use than the competition.
When you install Chasys Draw, you have the option to associate it with various file types, which is handy if you want to make it your default graphics tool; you can change these associations at any time, too. The main interface is similar to most graphics programs in its layout, its complement of tools and functions, and its use of layers. Wizard-like steps simplify the processes of creating a project and opening and editing an image, video, or other compatible file. We clicked New Project, and the program walked us through the steps of selecting a new image, video, or disk label project or scanning an image. We selected a blank document, choosing dimensions, resolution, orientation, and background colors. We started with the brush tool, drawing freehand with both the mouse and a Wacom pen. Most of the program's wide range of brushes, effects, and tools are similar to those in Photoshop and other software. Chasys Draw accepts plug-ins, too. What we like about this tool, and what sets it apart, are its customizable Windows Aero-compatible transparency, which kept unused windows and tools semitransparent until they were activated by hovering the mouse; its pop-up labels and explanations; and the way the Help file opens on the appropriate entry when you first initiate a function. Other small but useful touches distinguish Chasys Draw from the pack, such as tiny icons in the left-hand corner for rotating images from portrait to landscape orientation. This versatile bundle also includes an icon generator, a calculator, a Notepad utility, and a color palette generator. The raw photo tool offers so many options that it's essentially a separate tool, while the Image Converter tool is powerful and flexible.
Chasys Draw IES Artist does so much that it would take some time to cover it all. It's a legitimate alternative to the big-bucks, big-box image tools on its own merits, and all the more so because it's freeware.
From John Paul Chacha's Lab:
Chasys Draw IES is a suite of applications including a layer-based image editor with animation, icon editing support and super-resolution via image stacking (Chasys Draw IES Artist), a multi-threaded image file converter (Chasys Draw IES Converter), a fast image viewer (Chasys Draw IES Viewer) and a RAW camera file processor (Chasys Draw IES raw-Photo). The whole suite is UAC aware and is designed to take advantage of multi-core processors, touch-screens and pen-input devices.
What's new in this version: Version 4.20.01:
- Improved Photoshop Plug-in support
- Improved Pen and Path Engine with PATHv3
- Support for complex paths in PATHv3
- Anti-aliasing options in Pen and Path
- Anti-aliasing options for several tools
- Synchronized recent items list
- Improved UI for video capture
- Faster graphics engine (JpDRAW2 Jan'14)
- Metadata load from file and save to file
- Blend-mode files for GIMP, Photoshop and Paint.NE... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Edit images and photos using a variety of tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Edit images and digital photos with high quality effects.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Recover deleted and erased data.
- Rework your images and photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your image files.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Convert TIFF files to PDF document.
- Track and quickly relaunch your most recently run programs.
- Use a drawing and image manipulation program on your Pocket PC.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Provide protection against viruses, trojans, worms, backdoors, ...
- Adjust images and apply filters to them.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Express your artistic skills by drawing, sketching, animating, ...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
"Like Photoshop? Then..."
Version: Chasys Draw IES 4.11.02
If you like Photoshop, you'll like this. For those that have used PS the learning curve is very easy. If you haven't then not so much.
Not real thrilled with how to add various tools to the board. Other than that, have no other beef.
Like it. Use it. Enjoy it.
"Didn't work on my system!"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 4.04.01
Appears to have stopped my windows 7 computer from booting!
I had this program on my Windows XP computer and I never had a problem with it. I really liked the included features it has. I thought it was a great program! I found a few of the features a little bit hard to use, but nothing major.
The problem came when I tried to install it on my Windows 7 laptop. It worked fine at first. I didn't notice any problems. The problem came the next time I turned on my Windows 7 computer. It wouldn't boot! I had to use System Restore to fix it! I wish this program would have worked for me!
"Top Professional Look"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.76.04
- Quality of graphics.
- Quality of tools.
Minimal learning curve -- gotta read the documentation, at least I do.
I'm a GIMP lover, this adds really great looking graphics to what I can do.
"Very Professional Graphics"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.75.01
Easy to create Professional Graphics AND priced to move -- it's FREE! I keep finding new tricks. Sometimes I even read stuff! If you read the stuff -- you'll probably love this even more when you get it to do exactly what you want.
Not having read much of the documentation, it can be difficult to get results. YOU'LL NEED TO READ and allow time for the learning curve. But, what little I've been able to do made me HAVE TO write something here -- since I believe this is an unknown product to most folks.
Super impressive. Well, gotta go read.
"Enormous functionality for free!"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.75.01
no, i will not enter them
I will not enter ten characters
this software has far more capabilities than I do.
"Wow, excellent features"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.72.01
Tools for transparent backgrounds are very good. Toolkit seems to be thorough and well thought out.
Haven't discovered anything negative... yet.
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.72.01
Easy to use.
None - very impressive, especially for freeware.
"All I need for painting and animating"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.68.03
Imports fine from my scanner, webcam and graphics tablet
Imports brushes from GIMP and photoshop
My no-name pressure sensitive graphics tablet supported
Has not crashed so far after several hours of use, and does not lag on a 7 year old XP computer
Nice interface and large canvas to draw on when using the full screen option
Lots of tools to explore
No it works
My affordable graphics tablet came without software. This program was what I needed.
"Just as good as Photoshop, no better due to the price!!"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.67.01
excellent photo editing stuff
Easy for a beginner to learn and to use.
Can get a little slow when the resolution of the pictures is at its maximum
This program is an alltogether great thing. I am so glad that I found it. It has just as many features as the photoshop that I had been using and it is free!! If you are looking for a tool to edit photos with professional quality and feel than this is the program for you.
"Fine program, but..."
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.66.02
A capable graphics app with tons of features. Takes awhile to explore all the tools, but it's worth the time required. Handles layers well. Nice brushes and textures. Seems quite stable. I like it.
The author went overboard with bells and whistles. Too much splash and glitter. I don't need a graphics app to be fancy or pretty - I just need it to work.
I recommend it for any experienced user looking for a free alternative to hi-dollar graphics apps. But be prepared to spend some time learning to use it. It is definitely NOT for newbies.