From Dan Frakes:
One of the most common questions users of Mac OS X ask is "How do I change my short username?" Although OS X provides a simple interface -- the Accounts pane of System Preferences -- for changing a user's long name, there's been no easy way to change the short name of an account once it is created. Until now, that is.
ChangeShortName is an easy-to-use utility that does the dirty work involved in changing the short name of a user's account in Mac OS X (versions 10.4.x and 10.3.x). It can also repair some problems that occur when a user has attempted to change their short username manually and done so incorrectly. For safety, it backs up the NetInfo database beforehand.
Changing your short username is a serious procedure, but ChangeShortName makes doing so easier and safer.
ChangeShortName is "donationware" by James Bucanek and Dan Frakes. Be sure to read the included documentation before using it.
What's new in this version:
- Complete rewrite of the ChangeShortName Helper application, which has been renamed ChangeShortName (i.e., without the "Helper"). The new version is a Cocoa application with a new interface that's easier to use and provides more - and more useful - information and feedback. The downside of this rewrite is that the ChangeShortName application is no longer compatible with Mac OS X 10.2.x; users of Jaguar will need to use the standalone changeshortname.command script.
- ChangeShortNa... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Web Page Grabber is an application to create screenshot of web ...
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- View & edit nearly all aspects of OS X preferences database.
- Manage .DS_Store files, resource forks, trash, etc.
- Add and delete share points like in Finder.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Online backup using Amazon S3.
- Display messages written to the console or any log file.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Hierarchical tool for notes, ideas, to-do lists.
- Front-end for the anti spam tool Mailfilter.
- Make simple changes to a single object, and then repeat those c...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Get info tool with batch mode & contextual menu.
- Search Facebook right from your Mac OS X Dashboard.