CNET Editors' review
Big Meter Pro shows what your CPU is doing. Or your RAM. Or Disk. Or Processes. This useful gadget can display them all in a customizable analog-style pointer gauge that's big enough to see from across the room yet not so large that it dominates your desktop. It's compact in data size, too, and uses very few system resources, so it doesn't influence the very processes it's monitoring. Big Meter Pro is freeware for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP to 8.
Big Meter Pro launched as soon as its installer closed, and the program immediately began displaying our system's CPU usage in both the highly graphic pointer and, for good measure, a percentage inside a blue circle with a semicircular pointer gauge that resembles an older car's gas gauge or battery meter. We could drag Big Meter Pro around the desktop, but right-clicking it opened the program's main menu, giving us access to many more settings and options than just where we wanted to deposit the meter, starting with a link to the developer, Microsys (though some users will want to start with the IE-based Help Page). Clicking Settings opened a small dialog with options like sound alert and run at startup. The options most users will need most of the time are available right on the menu, including Dial Form, Dial Opacity, Hand Shape, and Stay on Top, as well as check boxes for CPU Usage (the default setting) Memory Usage, Disk Usage, and Process Usage. We could also click a submenu labeled "Information" to open separate dialogs with more detailed data for CPU, Memory, and Disk. The Dial Form control toggles between 2D and 3D displays, and we could change the meter's opacity in 10 percent increments and choose Classic or Modern pointers. We could open as many meters as we needed simultaneously and manage each from separate tray icons.
Big Meter Pro's biggest advantage is visibility. For a cool, retro-style desktop process monitor, Big Meter Pro fits the bill nicely. It looks good, but with the wealth of information it shows you, you'll find that it's more than a pretty face.
A free CPU meter for your desktop, along with three more dials for memory, disk partition and process usage. This utility can continuously and simultaneously monitor these key computer parameters, displaying them on big dials for easy observation, as numeric percentage and analog hand rotation. It also offers you general information about your microprocessor (brand, type, speed), memory and disk (physical and logical drive). A process running on your computer can be selected for monitoring, and its CPU usage is computed as an average value from all processor cores data. So, with this free utility it's very easy to have a dynamic overview of your computer's performance, using a very small amount of its resources. The program's small window can be dragged anywhere on your screen and placed on top of other programs, with the opacity you have chosen.
What's new in this version: New graphics, process usage added
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Get alerts or make your computer into the sleep mode when timer...
- View information about hardware and software on your PC.
- Set a time for your computer to shutdown.
- Log off the computer much quicker.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Schedule your system's shutdown for a specified time.
- Monitor your system's uptime.
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Optimize your computer when it idles.
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content