CNET Editors' review
Bento is a database app from the makers of Filemaker offering plenty of great features, but its deliberate lack of focus may make it difficult for people to grasp its usefulness. Bento is loaded with templates to create databases of people, places, or things using nice-looking graphics. The interface takes some time to get used to, but with a little poking around (and once the major features become clear), the true power of Bento starts to materialize.
Bento can be used to catalog just about anything in any number of ways. Comic book collectors could use the program to catalog their collection, for example, complete with pictures, short summaries, and more, all in an aesthetically-pleasing interface. You might also use it to search for a new home, adding all the information, addresses, prices, and pictures of locations making it easy to compare houses against each other. Really any sort of collector or person trying to catalog similar items could find a use for this program. Bento comes with a large number of templates that cover many hobbies and business-related activities, and there are more user-made templates you can browse through at the Web site. Everything from showing more info about the players of your football team to cataloging your DVD collection are great examples of uses for Bento. But perhaps its amazing amount flexibility is its primary weakness because people can't immediately see what use they would have for the program.
Bento works seamlessly with Excel and Numbers making it possible to import information to fill out your templates. You also can import contacts and your personal calendar to display the information in unique ways. Plus, you can share Bento databases, allowing others to add information to your template, making it great for collaboration on a project.
Overall, we think Bento is a solid database program made easy by a largely WYSYWIG interface. The trouble with Bento is that it is not immediately clear why it is useful, making this great program a sleeper hit that remains under most people's radar.
What's your passion? Selling products, building client relationships, booking your band, organizing volunteers, running marathons, collecting coins? Whatever it is, Bento can help you do it better - the fast, fun, and easy way! Choose from 35 pre-designed templates included with Bento, download and import templates from others who share your passion, or design your own custom forms using beautiful themes designed by Mac artists. Use Bento to do all this and more: * Organize contacts, clubs and mailing lists * Track projects, tasks, and deadlines * Plan special events, parties and weddings * Link photos to contacts, projects, and events * Manage students, classes, and lecture notes * Search wine and movie collections * Catalog inventory, assets, and equipment * Record billable hours and payments due * Keep a daily log of diet and exercise * Store recipes and shopping lists See, secure, and share your information like never before!
What's new in this version:
- Provides bug fixes and updates related to Mountain Lion and Retina displays.
- Migrates data stored in the Bento iPhoto library to a new Bento Photos library and disconnects from iPhoto. You will still be able to add images from iPhoto to Bento media fields.
More Products to Consider
- Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook suite of applications.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- View & print PDF files.
- Open-source office productivity suite with Microsoft Office com...
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- Store any kind of information you can find.
- Productivity suite: Pages, Keynote, Numbers.
- Keep all of your miscellaneous information in a central locatio...
- Organize your book collection.
- Word processor & page layout app.
- Database software to manage people, projects, assets and more.
- Process your bulk listings CSV or tab delimited files.
- Viewer for NFO, ASC, DIZ files.
- Personal book library management.
- Use six feature-rich apps for document production and data proc...
- Keep detailed information about your pet's health.
- Messaging & collaboration client.
- Organize and share the information you find on the Web.
- PowerPoint-compatible presentation tool.
- Better manage the workflow of your DVD library.
- Convert PDFs into the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats gener...
- Manage your financial accounts.
- Manage research notes, quotes, contacts, published and archival...
- Office suite based on OpenOffice.org.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 40 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"very buggy and lacks many features associated with DBs"
Version: Bento 4.1.2
Very few pros. Appleworks DB was much better.
Filemaker are dumping Benito in September so no chance of any future improvments or updates.
Waste of money