CNET Editors' review
BatchPurifier Lite removes metadata from JPEG images without affecting their quality. Such data can include thumbnails, geotags, Photoshop resources, EXIF data, and even the make and model of the camera that captured the image. Removing some or all of the metadata from your images helps reduce their size on the disk, but it can also help protect your privacy, especially if you like to share pictures online. BatchPurifier Lite can also remove metadata from compressed images. This freeware version of a premium tool is fully functional but limited to JPEG images only.
BatchPurifier Lite's wizard-based interface starts with the Files Selection stage, which involves adding files or folders to the main window using buttons or dragging and dropping them into the main window. Check boxes let us include subfolders and ZIP files. We clicked Next to advance to the Filters Selection. The freeware only filters for JPEGs, but it offers plenty of metadata options for cleaning, including EXIF, Photoshop, and XMP data, ICC Profiles, and Other Hidden Data. We clicked Select All and then moved on to the Output Options, which involve selecting an output directory and whether to overwrite the original files. Clicking Finish purged our batch of images of all the selected data in a quick process. When the job was done, we browsed to both the original and cleaned folders and opened their properties sheets to view the total size of each. Cleaning the metadata had saved less than a megabyte, but our batch was small, and it still represented many JPEGs in capacity.
It's not uncommon for people to end up with lots of images saved to their PCs. If all you care about is the pictures and not the metadata, then running BatchPurifier Lite makes perfect sense. If you like to post your own digital snapshots online, you probably want to keep the metadata for yourself and strip it out of the pictures you share. BatchPurifier Lite makes that extremely easy to do: Just add your image folders, choose the metadata you want to remove, select a new or different folder for the cleaned images, and press Finish.
From Digital Confidence:
BatchPurifier Lite is a free lightweight edition of BatchPurifier that supports the cleaning of metadata from multiple JPEG files only. BatchPurifier Lite is able to remove hidden data such as EXIF data (including geotag and thumbnail), Photoshop image resources (including IPTC), XMP, comments, and other hidden data while keeping the JPEG image intact and without degrading its quality. This metadata often contains information such as the exact date and time the photograph was taken, the digital camera manufacturer and model, the camera settings and the location (if GPS-enabled camera was used). Furthermore, a thumbnail of the image often exists in the JPEG file, and much image manipulation software fails to update this thumbnail when the original image is modified. The unintentional exposure of this information may compromise your privacy and cause you embarrassment. BatchPurifier Lite inspects and cleans JPEG files, even if they are compressed within ZIP files, thus keeping your privacy and enabling you to share your photos with confidence.
What's new in this version: Version 5.0 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Get the latest antivirus updates.
- Get updated virus pattern files.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Compare, synchronize, and backup your files and folders.
- Update Norton virus definitions and antivirus products.
- Rename and process files and folders.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Check your system for Windows vulnerabilities.
- Get a powerful High Definition video converter that supports 15...
- Hide, lock, and password protect any files.
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Clean up and remove unwanted files from your system.
- Make JPEG files smaller.
- Find and remove specific viruses from your PC.
- Display the read/write speed of your disk.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Creates HDRI & blends two exposures.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"BEST FREE tag remover"
Version: BatchPurifier Lite 2.1
Removed EXIF information (tags) from over 18,000 photos in multiple directories in about 10 minutes. Similar non-free software would crash.
For those who want a fancy interface, you won't find it here. Program is straight to the point
Simple interface, add files or individual folders. Option to scan sub-folder or even zip files. Select whether to remove EXIF including embeded thumbnail, IPTC data, XMP, Comments, and orther Metadata. Then you even have the option to overwrite the origional files, or Save as new files and a folder of your choosing. For a totally free program, it very small, and is extremely efficient. Don't be fooled by the name Batch Purifier LITE. I highly recommend this software to anyone wanting to just clean up their image tags and/or protect their privacy when uploading pictures to the web.