CNET Editors' review
Batch Replacer for MS Word is a plug-in for the Useful File Utilities program that allows users to complete find-and-replace tasks in multiple documents at once. The plug-in works but is not particularly easy to use.
We previously reviewed Useful File Utilities on its own and came to the conclusion that it was a mediocre file management tool, more complicated than it really needed to be and without any notable features. Batch Replacer for MS Word adds an extra bit of functionality, but fits in with the general feel of the program, which is that it's not very user-friendly. Users select the files they want to edit from a cluttered-looking file browser and then access the plug-in. Somewhat strangely, the program uses an Excel file to handle the finding and replacing; users must open a spreadsheet and insert the word they want to find in column A and the word they want to replace it with in column B. We do like that users can also change the font, highlighting, or other characteristics of the replacement, making it easy to track changes. Once the spreadsheet is saved, the program runs the find-and-replace task in the selected files. Does the program work? Yes. Are there easier ways to accomplish the same task? Indeed there are. Although the program comes with a brief built-in Help file, we found overall that it was a bit of a hassle to use.
Batch Replacer for MS Word is free. It comes as a ZIP file but installs and uninstalls without issues. We do not particularly recommend this program; if you're already happily using Useful File Utilities, this isn't a bad addition, but otherwise, don't bother.
Batch Replacer for MS Word is a utility which helps you perform multi-replacement operations in MS Word files with the help of an MS Excel list. It can really save a great deal of time: no need to open each file and make a replacement and then open another file and so on. All this can be done in a few seconds and with as many files as desired.
What's new in this version: Version 3.5 has Added ability to leave capital of the first character and new controlcards for the "replace into" text.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Perform replacement operations in Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Convert TIFF files to PDF document.
- Back up files and folders to never loose them again.
- Create multiple OGG files from multiple MP3 files.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Search and replace the text in your files.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Search and batch-replace multiple files from local disks and ne...
- Perform search-and-replace operations for whole groups of text ...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- See the results of your text searches and replacements as you t...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Drag, rename, and number batches of files.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Rename multiple videos, photos, Web pages, and any of your file...
- Manage, search, and rename your files.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Rename files and folders in bulk.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"This is an ADD-On that REQUIRES a $30 program to Work!"
Version: Batch Replacer for MS Word 1.8.2
"Batch Replacer for MS Word" v1.8.2 is an Add-on that Requires a $30 program named "Useful File Utilities" for it to work! Stay away from ReplSoft - they use FALSE ADVERTISING!