CNET Editors' review
AlfaClock2 is a basic program that adds a bit of extra functionality to the standard Windows System Tray clock. Although some of the program's features were quite nice, others were confusing and difficult to access.
Many of the program's functions are accessed by right-clicking on the clock, which is simple enough. From there, a menu appears and users can view a multi-month calendar or a desktop clock, copy the current date to the clipboard, or have the program speak the date and time aloud (we were especially impressed with the realistic and pleasant voice used for this feature). All of that was pretty straightforward and easy to use. It was only once we opened the preferences dialogue that things stopped making sense. This menu is supposed to allow for various customizations to the date and time format, but we couldn't figure out how to make them work. We were able to set the alarm, which worked fine, but we remained befuddled by the program's other options. The program's built-in Help file tried to explain, but it didn't go into enough detail to help. Overall, although we liked the program to the extent that we could get it to work, we were frustrated by the layout of the preferences, and would be more likely to choose a more intuitive program.
AlfaClock2 has a 30-day trial period. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program with reservations; it's not bad, but we've seen similar programs that are easier to use.
From AlfaSoft Research Labs:
AlfaClock enhances your tray clock functionality. Of course, you can customize the look of the program, adjusting fonts, colors, backgrounds and more. But, the main goal of this program is to extend your tray clock functionality. It can speak the time, start Windows applications at a specified time, indicate processor and memory loads.
Version 2.41 is a maintenance release.
What's new in this version: Version 2.41 is a maintenance release.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get reminders with a talking alarm clock.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Customize reminders and receive alerts of incoming events.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Set a desktop digital clock with an integrated alarm and system...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Display a customizable alarm clock on your desktop.
- Set and customize an alarm clock.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Get an appointment calendar and an alarm for your desktop.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Get a skins pack for Atomic Alarm Clock.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Display time and date on your desktop.
- Measure time in seconds from 3 seconds to 49 days and get a 'ti...
- Get a remider at a scheduled time.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Play alarms as a text message, sound, music, or video.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
All versions:1.5 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:1.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING"
Version: AlfaClock2 2.41
None None None None
It works just fine until the part where they send you a registration # AFTER you've paid for it! CNET should delete this download
WARNING WARNING WARNING
"I want Alfaclock 1.99 back! ("
Version: AlfaClock2 2.41
I still like that it gives the time on the hour, and the ability to set multiple alarms with reminder messages and my own sounds. However...
the program is not much use now because it requires registration, but there is no way to register it. I liked the time-announce voice and the appearance of the older version better, too, but that's really beside the point.
Unfortunately my antivirus program prompted me to delete my old Alfaclock 1.99, and I miss it! I want the old one back! If anyone knows where I can get a copy of the original, please let me know. This version 2.44 is pretty much useless.
"AlfaClock no longer available"
Version: AlfaClock2 2.41
Would be a great product, if it would only run.
Unexpired free version no longer available.
No license provided for purchased version.
The author has ceased updating the expiration date of the free version of this application, so it will no longer run. He is also not providing registrations to the purchased version. For some reason, the author has gone MIA.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: