CNET Editors' review
Alfa Autorun Killer is a free security tool that helps protect your system by scanning for and removing viruses, worms, adware, and other autorun threats on your hard disks and removable drives and by preventing unauthorized programs from executing autorun processes. It includes secure delete and process, services, and startup managers, and automatic updates.
Alfa's system-tray icon is the central access point for the software's features and settings. We right-clicked the program's icon to open its extensive menu, which stayed open even when other windows and apps were active--a small but welcome touch. From this menu, we could check for updates to the database and scan engine, enable automatic processes, view the log file, and access the program's security tools. We opened the program's dialog-based user interface, the Threats Scan Center, and clicked Settings. These mostly configured the program's startup behavior, enabled sounds, and similar options, as well as allowed context menu integration in Windows. We initiated a system scan, which finished quickly and returned a clean report, thankfully. The program's scan report contained a lot of information about our system and drives as well as what was scanned, including notification that vital system processes such as our antivirus software had been reactivated after the scan. We ran some scans with other tools and rebooted to ensure that Alfa had done no harm. While the report found no threats, it identified our hard disks as lacking protection. We opened the Protection Center, which let us select one of three autorun suppression levels for our system: Not Protected, Medium Protection, and Maximum Protection. The program recommended the medium setting, which prevents autorun programs from executing on your hard drives but not your CD-ROM or DVD drives; a good compromise since you must manually insert optical disks. However, the Maximum setting nixes autorun on your optical drives, which keeps sophisticated bugs from tricking your system into running them, but you have to run programs manually from CDs or DVDs.
Alfa's various system managers are useful extras that basically augment or centralize Windows processes. A Search & Destroy feature securely deletes files using several methods. All in all, we found Alfa Autorun Killer a valuable addition to our security suite, preventing unwanted programs from running with a minimum of hassle.
From Alfa Programs:
Alfa Autorun Killer is software that helps to protect USB flash Memories and PCs from the dangerous autorun viruses. It features scans for Autorun, protection center, search and destroy, process manager, services manager, and startup manager.
More Products to Consider
- Erase the AUTORUN virus from your PC and USB drives with the he...
- Remove and block autorun.inf virus from USB flash drive by usin...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your removable disks against "autorun viruses".
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Place a customizable digital alarm clock on your desktop.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Play popular file formats on your PC, including AVI, FLV, MP4, ...
- Disable or delete unnecessary start-up items.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Alfa Autorun Killer 3.0.7
- Nothing at all
After seeing good reviews from users and CNET's 5 star rating, I decided to try Alfa Autorun Killer. I don't know about Autoruns but it did kill my system. Well, almost...
The first time I opened and ran a scan, it crashed my system with a Kernel Fault. After rebooting and restoring my system, I gave it a second shot. Disappointingly, it crashed on almost every tab and that was the end for Alfa Autorun Killer on my system.
When CNET gives a 5 start rating to a program, the program is expected to be very good. Forget about crashing your system, it should never ever crash itself. I have a very basic setup for my system with Windows XP SP3 and I expect 5 star programs to run without crashing. I am not so much disappointed with the program as I am with CNET. Don't you guys test programs before writing reviews?
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content