CNET Editors' review
AkelPad is designed to be a fast, lightweight, open-source alternative to Notepad as the default text editor in Windows or as an integrated text editor in a third-party app like Total Commander. It's built specifically to correct some of Notepad's shortcomings when editing plain text files, especially code. It doesn't support other file types such as RTF files.
AkelPad's installer gave us three options: Standard installation, integration with Total Commander, and replacing WordPad. Since we'd planned to try AkelPad as our default text editor anyway, we chose the WordPad replacement, which automatically restores WordPad as the default text editor in Windows if and when you uninstall AkelPad. The program's ultrasimple interface screams "text editor," with a blank main window, basic menu bar, and an optional status bar along the bottom edge of the window. For such a plain-looking tool, AkelPad offers quite a few options. For instance, from the menu bar, we could also set Single-window (SDI), Multi-window (MDI), and Pseudo Multi-window (PSMDI) Window modes, configure plug-ins, change the language, fonts, and colors, and set the newline format for DOS/Windows, Unix, or Mac. We clicked Help and opened the program's HTML-based manual in a browser window. The documentation recommended using TrueType fonts and also lists command line parameters, manual settings, keyboard commands, and internal commands. The Settings dialog offered tabs labeled General, Registry, Editor 1, Editor 2, and Advanced, with many individual choices.
We opened and edited a variety of text files with AkelPad, both as the default Windows app and directly from AkelPad's interface. As a pure text editor, it performed as well as any we've tried, and better than most. It lived up to its billing as a small, fast tool that nevertheless improves on Notepad in several areas. It doesn't really do anything special, just competently. If you're looking for a better text editor, try AkelPad.
From Alexey Kuznetsov:
AkelPad is an open source editor for plain text. It is designed to be a small and fast. Features includes Single window (SDI), multi-window (MDI) and pseudo multi-window modes (PMDI), support of any code page installed in the system, correct pseudo graphics displaying, includes column text selection, and remember file code page and caret position.
What's new in this version: Version 4.8.7 has increased speed of code folding processing with word wrap on.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Add Word viewer features to your applications.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Edit rich text files and convert them into plain text, PDF, or ...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Edit content for your ASP.NET applications.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create and edit text files.
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Edit, view, and print ASCII art.
- Learn common Chinese characters and edit formatted text documen...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Store, format, and secure your information containing URL, text...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Edit and modify multiple CNC documents on PC.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Edit texts with Unicode support, hex edit mode, and HTML charse...
- Copy messages to clipboard and paste them to text editors.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Edit your HTML Web pages or other ASCII files.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"simple and powerful"
Version: AkelPad 4.6.5
has all necessary functions
low resources usage
not found yet
Version: AkelPad 3.4.7
It is in a weird language and is worse than notepad itself
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content