CNET Editors' review
Windows 8 is coming soon, bringing with it a snazzy new look with lots of animation and visual effects. For a preview of some of what it will bring to your desktop, try Aero QLaunch. As a program, it's prosaic: just another freeware quick-launch toolbar for the desktop. As a desktop enhancement, it's anything but subtle, adding some dazzling 3D fireworks to an updated theme based on the new look of Windows 8. Aero QLaunch is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. As part of the setup process, Aero QLaunch downloaded and installed the latest applicable version of Microsoft DirectX, including all legacy updates.
At its heart, Aero QLaunch is a quick-launch toolbar, a simple but useful desktop tool that lets users group together the programs they use the most in one place and quickly launches associated programs with a click. Aero QLaunch is no different in that regard. It showed the programs pinned to our taskbar as well as icons to open IE, show the desktop, and switch between windows when we clicked Aero QLaunch's prominent Q icon in the notification area (aka system tray). Right-clicking this icon accesses Aero QLaunch's main menu, where we could add or remove program shortcuts, change the scale of the icons, enable sound effects, and access the Options. The program's Options are grouped under three tabs: Main, for choosing the themes and special effects; Visual, for selecting HDR or MSAA and debugging the program's advanced visual settings; and Text, with a simple but effective tool for picking colors. The default theme is Windows 8 Metro, but we could use bricks, chocolate, and other materials for our buttons.
About those effects: with Aero QLaunch active, our cursor trailed an explosion of fireworks wherever we moved it, and not your typical cursor trails but a big blaze of animated color. We could also use sparks or rainbow colors, but it's just as easy to disable the effects once they've worn out their welcome. Aero QLaunch's large, solid-color icons, cool aero and window-switching effects, and spinning 3D program icons offer a peek at things to come.
Aero QLaunch (64-Bit) is designed to be a quick launch toolbar in 3D. This utility is very lightweight and easy to use. It places an icon in your system tray. Just hover with the mouse over it and the quick launch bar will be revealed.
What's new in this version: Version 1.2.22 has optimized for loading speed.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Edit your photos and graphics.
- Take screen shots selectively.
- Add 3D dynamic quick launch bar for Windows 7 Aero theme.
- Darken your browsing experience with this Firefox 3 theme.
- Hide an active program window immediately with a hot key.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Run desktop TV in the background on your Windows PC.
- Capture screenshots of different size.
- Capture and edit screens, and send or paste them into presentat...
- A easy to use computerized desktop calendar planner.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content