CNET Editors' review
One of the most popular and customizable third-party clients in the multiservice chat category for Mac continues to impress. It supports multiple services, including AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, Windows Live, and Google Chat. Part of what made the original Adium so attractive was the multitude of IM service options, and that still forms the core appeal of this client. The interface is smooth and lean, fitting in well with the Mac OS. The client supports tabbed browsing, encrypted messaging, and you can transfer files to your buddies, though it can be hit or miss depending on what service you're using.
Recent updates have improved cross-service support (both in terms of security and performance), and the app continues to offer extensive options for customization, with a wide range of sounds, themes, colors, and other tweaks--including support for Growl, if you want to keep up with chats when you're not in Adium. Under the hood, the program shares the same open-source core as multiplatform client Pidgin.
Overall, despite some file-sharing quirks, Adium X is a must-download for those looking to connect with multiple services. If you've been looking for a chat client that plays nice with other chat services, Adium is an excellent choice on the Mac.
From Adam Iser:
Adium is a fast and free instant messaging client which supports AIM, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo!, Google Talk, Yahoo! Japan, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Novell Groupwise, and Lotus Sametime. Adium supports beautiful WebKit message display, tabbed messaging, encrypted chat, file transfer, and more. Give it a try; you won't look back.
Adium is currently translated into Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed a crash which could occur when attempting to send files, especially on OS X 10.9. ("fain") (#16352, #16430)
- Fixed a crash which could occur on OS X 10.9.
- Fixed an issue causing Adium to hang when encoding a message.
- Fixed greyed-out user icons in the message view when using the "Stockholm" message style. (#16502)
- Fixed borderless contact lists not taking multi-screen menu bars into account. (#16514)
- Fixed building Adium on OS X 10.9. (#1... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Communicate with people in your office, school, and home networ...
- Promotes your business services via message broadcasting.
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Connect with all your friends instantly.
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Localized version.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Looking to open those frustrating Microsoft Outlook MSG files o...
- Exchange instant messages with friends and family using chat, v...
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Get an IRC client for your Mac OS X.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Access e-mails on a server and send them via the standard SMTP ...
- Store and share files on remote servers, chat with other users.
- Read e-mail and news the way you want it, with intelligent junk...
- Control camera settings from iChat, Skype and other apps.
- Enhance your Twitter experience with open source client.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Instant messaging program which lets you log in to accounts on ...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 82 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
"Love this IM app!"
Version: Adium 1.5.1
Love how all my IM accounts are combined into one and has my twitter updates as well. Functionally this program has never caused me any issues and has always performed beautifully.
I would not mind having my FB updates viewable as the twitter updates are, but is not a deal breaker and probably better off without it. Not been able to figure out how to tab between chat screens with just a hot key, have to use mouse. Functionally I have had no operating issues to give me a true CON to complain about to date.
LOVE this IM, wish I could get it for my PC. Used trillion for years on the PC and I love this so much better if for no other reason just dependability and trillion was really a resource pig. After using Adium I started doing the pepsi challenge on my PC to find a better IM program to use. NO banner adds, never had a functional issue with the program, not a resource hog, very elegant. I would compare it to a Miranda messager program in terms of operating functionality with much more intelligence requiring less end user set up.
"does ok but could be better"
Version: Adium 1.4.4
- like the floating dock and how you can customize it
- like how you can put all your messaging into one
- like how you can minimize it
- customizable in sounds and colors too
- could use some nicer lay-out/UI, but in terms of functions it seems good.
- wish it supported skype which is the only stupid client that I'm stuck with opening separately
- FB seems to be still an issue.
- don't like how I keep getting messages from weirdos, but that might be a yahoo chat issue.
- a little bit of a cludgy old app design
Overall, this is the only multiple client IM product I have on my desktop.
"5 stars because it's UNIQUE but..."
Version: Adium 1.4.3
it's the only proper multichat app we have!
Light, not cluttering, complete, with many useful personal settings, alerts, behaviours!
The development is slow... our expectations waiting...and waiting:
- file transfer is not fully working
- still no voice
- still not Skype integrated
An absolute 'must have' (made by GENEROUS people) which should be ever open when we're online!
But... does they know that we are BEGGING for more, to not be 'forced' to open Yahoo to send files or MSN for nor Skype (both in black list being fallen in dirty hands)?
"It does what it says it will"
Version: Adium 1.4.3
It does what it say it will
It can't read my mind
It can't see into the future
It won't go to work for me and let me stay in bed
It doesn't predict winning lottery numbers at all - let alone accurately
I've been using it for years and they haven't screwed it up yet.
"WHY IS A VIDEO CAMERA THE LOGO WHEN IT'S NOT SUPPORTED?"
Version: Adium 1.4.2
GREAT FUN AND VERY CUSTOMISABLE!
NO VIDEO SUPPORT
If you use video chat, you'll need something else as well...
"Adium does them all. No need to open other messengers."
Version: Adium 1.4.2
Lots of features and customizable. Continually evolving.
Sometimes "forgets" passwords.
Best multi-messenger for the Mac.
"I am having a lot of trouble connecting my accounts."
Version: Adium 1.4.1
The ones it works on is fine
cannot get it to connect to G chat, and others
wish it would work on my imac better.
"Good replacement for live messenger"
Version: Adium 1.4.1
You can use all your messengers at the same time. Easy to use and has many options to personalize. For example: you can download nice sounds and emoticons from their website.
"good IM program. unobtrusive on the desktop"
Version: Adium 1.4
i can chat with people in other IM programs without having to be in those programs. Adium brings them all together in one place.
doesn't allow me to buzz my contacts, so unless they're at the computer they won't know i've begun a chat
"smooth, this is important for me."
Version: Adium 1.3.10
smooth, practical, esthetical, functional etc.
nothing for me
I like this apps smooth, practical, esthetical, functional etc. properties, may be some people wants cam support. This is may be only fault.
Thanks creators of this app.