CNET Editors' reviewDesigned to block ad windows during Web surfing, AdFree proves too labor-intensive to win us over. The program launches at start-up and resides in your system tray under an icon of your choice. Its method is to maintain a massive list of hosts known to display ad windows and block initiated windows from those hosts. A floating counter tracks how many ads are blocked. However, its effectiveness is limited. Because the program will not block pop-ups from unknown hosts, you must continually update the blacklist in order to keep pop-ups at bay. AdFree works fine for what it is, but the ongoing configuration requirements likely will become tiresome for many users.
From Michael Foley:
This simple and efficient ad blocker removes ads by utilizing the Hosts file to block sites. It's easy to use and doesn't use proxies. You can manually choose which sites to block or automatically download a list of servers. It filters the Web, AIM, and Kazaa.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Kill annoying unsolicited pop-up ads while letting approved one...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Optimize your Internet connection and eliminate annoying pop-up...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Block banners, pop-ups, and cookies, and browse offline.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Block pop-up windows, banner advertising, adult sites, and priv...
- Query multiple search engines on the Web simultaneously and blo...
- Eliminate spam e-mails before downloading, stop pop-up windows ...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Stop all unsolicited pop-up ads and visual clutter.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Filter and stop browsers from loading ads.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Block most Web advertising, remove and defend against malware, ...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Remove ads and pop-up windows with this software.
- Eliminate pop-ups, advertisements, and other intrusive items.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Not Working For Me"
Version: AdFree 3.2
It's an .exe program that only runs when you want. Doesn't leave a lot of junk on computer when uninstalled
Doesn't overwrite Hosts file leaving untouched on uninstall
Didn't seem to work. Selected several pages with ads, started program and started browser - ads still there. Verified program running in Task Manager.
Could not find a way to stop program except to kill process in Task Manager
Could not find how to update the Server Host file via program
Seems clunky. It was difficult to start and stop. Did not stop any ads for me
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: