CNET Editors' note: This is a full review of Ad-Aware Total Security 2014
CNET Editors' review
Ad-Aware has faced its ups and downs over the past few years, shimmying in and out of relevancy. Though last year's version was an overall improvement over its prior incarnations, our review staff had ultimately concluded that there was still some maturing to do if Lavasoft was aiming to reclaim the throne as top security honcho.
Gone is the Vipre scanner that powered it before and Ad-Aware now comes primarily powered by Bitdefender's core security engine and with added perks and utilities.
The installation process isn't exactly short when you include the extra download time to grab the virus definitions but it's not unbearable. Like many other security programs before it, Ad-Aware does come bundled with an in-house toolbar; but before you go on snickering in disgust, it's actually a surprisingly useful utility.
The toolbar add-on is one of the least obnoxious things we've ever used among browser bundles. Granted most toolbars are a hindrance, but Ad-Aware's security toolbar actually provided some value. In fact, we'd even go so far as to recommend it if you find yourself constantly trying to remove unintended toolbar installations and BHO add-ons that mysteriously appear inside your browser. Ad-Aware's toolbar comes with three basic features: a built in search that's powered by Yahoo!, a Web profile that indicates if a page is safe to visit...and a toolbar remover.
Regardless of which browsers you have installed, the tool actually identifies all third-party toolbars installed across the three major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE). It'll not only guide you through the uninstall/removal process, but Ad-Aware's security bar takes you directly to the control panel to help you remove other remaining dependencies. In other words, it's a cleaner that actually works. Each widget is mutable a la Firefox extensions.
Ad-Aware 11 has slimmed down, visually, even more so than last year's release. The overall menu is cleaner, with thinner fonts and a drastically streamlined menu layout, providing an overall more pleasant experience that gives you a bit more room to breathe. The bottom pull-up shows only basic components and keeps unnecessary social widgets neatly tucked away. The entire overall feel is almost Webapp like.
Gone is the breadcrumb-style interface: Instead Ad-Aware 11 maintains a permanent left-side panel for quick access. All of its tools are still there, but just much more neatly organized inside their respective categories.
The AV-TEST Institute hasn't published individual reports for Ad-Aware 11 yet, but according to the most recent August Real-World Protection Test, Bitdefender scored the highest protection rate at 100 percent, with Trend Micro being the only other competitor to match. Since then, Lavasoft has also claimed even more impressive conclusions based on their own internal evaluations, but we'll have to see those benchmarks confirmed as the product becomes more widely distributed.
Full scan took about 19 minutes and 12 seconds on our test machine and Ad-Aware provides the standard trio of Quick, Full, and Custom scanning options. Boot and shut-down performance were initially impacted, clocking in at a whole 90.82 seconds for boot and 13 seconds to shut down. However, Ad-Aware 11 also takes some time to get adjusted to your system and, sure enough, boot and shut down times stabilized the second and third time around, clocking in at an average 44.75 seconds and 9.04 seconds, respectively.
Ad-Aware 11 represents a huge comeback by Lavasoft and has responded to basically all of our criticisms from last year's review. System impact, scanning efficacy, and design have all been improved across the board and pricing is set competitively. If you're still on the fence about which free security suite to install, then you might want to give this one a try.
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus + from Lavasoft provides core protection against internet threats. Featuring real-time antivirus and anti-spyware engines, rootkit protection, download protection and web filters for safe browsing, the product gives you the power to protect yourself online. Ad-Aware Free Antivirus + provides complete anti-malware protection, combining Lavasoft's pioneer technology for anti-spyware with traditional antivirus protection.
What's new in this version: - Major bug fixes - Improved Windows 8.1 support - Updated installation flow - New Support section - Improved AntiSpam engine - Improved Firewall engine - Improved Firewall interface - Simplified Firewall rules creation - Improved App Management interface - Improved Web Protection interface - PasswordBox Integration - Improved expiration process - In app re-registration service for free users - Better notification system - New languages support: * Croatian * Serbian Latin * Serb... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Get professional antivirus and anti-spyware protection for your...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Get protected against viruses, spyware, phishing attacks, and o...
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Get full antimalware protection in a silent, non-intrusive way ...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Prevent Spyware and Malware running from your PC.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect your Internet-connected family against virus, hackers, ...
- Scan your Registry and hard drive for spyware.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 13,623 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Ad-Aware Free = Greatness."
Version: Ad-Aware Free Antivirus + 11.1.5152.0
I just started testing this product about 20h ago, but I already could tell that this is really good. This has one of the best detection scoring in the industry, and it wont only tell you about the problem, it will fix it too. Also, the full scan is really quick, and "game mode" is pretty enjoyable.
The download time was only acceptable.
This is still definitely one of the best anti-virus softwares out there today. Free or paid.
"Really easy to run."
Version: Ad-Aware Free Antivirus + 11.1.5152.0
Super easy and quick to setup... took me less than 20 for the whole install process and the scan...
I'm not much of a fan of the safe search thing...
It was really really easy to install and it works...