The Wire Secure Messenger app joins end-to-end encryption with individual and group communication tools that let you chat, make video calls, hold group voice calls, and share files securely.
End-to-end encryption: Wire creates an encrypted connection for sending and receiving text, voice, and video messages and files. It works across platforms, with Wire apps available on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux and via browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. You can also sync messages across eight devices.
Chat: After you add a contact to Wire, you can send text and attach images, GIFs, emojis, videos, and links to messages. You can set a timer on messages so they self destruct after a few seconds, a few minutes, or a day. Self-destructing messages work in both individual and group chats. And as with other secure messaging apps, the app prohibits you from capturing a screenshot of message screens. On the desktop, you can share screens.
File sharing: You can attach files -- Microsoft Office docs, PDFs, and videos -- to a conversation. Files can be as large as 25MB.
Business edition: A free personal version gives you access to all the messaging tools. A business edition comes with admin tools for adding and removing team members to groups, assigning roles to team members, and including guests in chats. The professional version starts at $7 per user per month.
Everyone you communicate with needs to be on Wire: As with other end-to-end encryption messaging apps, Wire is really only useful if your contacts also use the tool.
As much of a full-service communication tool as a secure message app, Wire lets you chat with others over an encrypted connection for free. If all you need is a secure messaging app, Wire might be a bit of overkill, but if you are looking for a way to communicate and share files securely, Wire is up to the task.
- Wire calls could not be established on some mobile networks
Wire secures your business and personal chats, files and calls with end-to-end encryption. All data is protected by European privacy laws.
Wire combines strong end-to-end encryption with great user experience, and all the great features to get work done in a team, or to bring friends and families together.
It works on all major platforms and devices so your chats, files and calls are always in sync and available everywhere.
- End-to-end encryption - Chats, calls and files are secured and only the participants have the keys to unlock what is said or sent. Wire does not have access to your conversations.
- Based in Europe - Wire follows strict Swiss data protection laws and all our servers are based in Germany and Ireland.
- Open source and independently audited - Wire's code is 100% open source and is regularly reviewed by independent security experts.
- Mobile, tablet, desktop - The conversations and files are always in sync and you don't need a phone to sign up or log in.
- Voice and video calls - Get a voice or video conference going in just one tap.
- Secure file sharing - Securely send any file from your device, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.
- Easy-to-use - Wire combines maximum security with a great user experience. There's no training required and as many users say "even my grandmother can use it!"
- 2-in-1 - Wire is the first secure messenger that lets you log in with multiple accounts. Easily switch between work and personal conversations.
- Rich conversations - Audio and video messages, GIFs, sketches and likes help to keep the conversation going.
Wire is free for personal use.
More info: wire.com