Star Chart offers you a virtual window into the universe, enabling you to identify any stars, planets, or constellations you point your device at even during the day, as well as providing an engaging 3D exploration mode and all the encyclopedic information you need about everything in space.
Fantastic concept: Using GPS, Google space data, and a beautifully rendered 3D galaxy, Star Chart helps you recognize the major constellations, a planet, or an obscure star, by just pointing your device at it, without the need to scroll or move, and without requiring online access or even the download of any data package.
Wonderfully rich: Although this app displays 120,000 stars, 88 constellations enhanced with digitized artwork created by the 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius, Messier objects, all the major planets and, through upgrades, even meteor showers, comets, and satellites, it somehow manages to work smoothly on a mobile device, having a decent loading time and a responsive navigation that lets you easily tap on objects to get essential data about them, including size and distance.
Great features: Time Shift for viewing the universe up to 10,000 years in the future or back in time and the straightforward but highly practical voice control commands further enrich the star-gazing experience this app provides.
Somewhat unresponsive AR mode: The app's key feature, the AR mode for recognizing celestial objects when you point your device at the sky, stops working every now and then, requiring a restart.
Drains the battery: Unsurprising considering how many graphics it packs, this app ate our Nexus 7 battery at the rate of 5% every 20 minutes or so.
Interface could be improved: While the 3D graphics are beautifully rendered, the design elements used in the pop-up menus offering more information about the selected objects as well as the splash screens could do with some polishing.
With its wonderful concept and wealth of knowledge and features, Star Chart proves to be an unforgettable app. It wouldn't be an overstatement to name this one of the most remarkable Android apps available, especially since it's free and has no ads. This app is practically a virtual telescope that makes stargazing a treat regardless of your location or the weather conditions.
- Added Calendar to browse menu
- Reduced celestial label size
- Constellation labels displayed localised
- Bug fixes
Used by over 30 million people world-wide, Star Chart provides a magical star gazing experience like no other.
We are aware that a few devices exhibit issues like missing settings button and AR mode not working. We are working on fixes, and will notify you as soon as we fixes are live. In the meanwhile, info on each of the bugs and access to our BETA (with potential fixes) can be found here: https://goo.gl/vmF47h
You can now have a virtual planetarium in your pocket! Look through the eyes of your Android device to see a virtual window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your Android device at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D universe, and all of the latest high tech functionality, Star Chart calculates - in real time - the current location of every star and planet visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device at it - you might just find out it's a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Chart's features include:
- Just point and view. No need to scroll around the screen to find out what you are looking at*.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures - perfect for armchair astronomers!
- Voice Control: Explore the solar system with commands like: "Fly me to the Moon" / "Go to Saturn" / "Tour Mars" / "Look at Andromeda" / "Where is the Cigar Galaxy?"[English only]
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your Android device at any angle.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of over 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes entire Messier catalogue of exotic deep sky objects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature allows you to shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Full search feature
So point your Android device at the sky and see what's out there!
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to email@example.com.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
Augmented Reality (AR) mode only available if your device supports it, as this feature requires a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
* Star Chart does not require internet access for normal usage. Internet access is only required initially to verify the license and subsequently when accessing the support page and external links.