Skype brings to your device the essential desktop experience of the immensely popular communications service, making a positive impression with its beautifully simplified interface and the high audio and video call quality it offers. While this app proves to be at least as fun and accessible as the original software, you will have to put up with occasional quirks like dropped calls or app crashes mid call.
Portability: Skype for Android features the voice/video call and instant messaging with file sharing features of the original app and bundles them up in an accessible UI with a pleasant layout, proving to be more handy to use than the desktop version in many cases.
Gorgeous video calls: If your device comes with a good camera, the fluid, lag-free video call quality this app offers is up there with FaceTime. Moreover, you can use the back camera to share what you see.
Service issues: From time to time calls are dropped or fail to connect for no good reason. Though this feels more like a server than app issue, it remains annoying.
Crashes: The app is prone to crash occasionally during video calls, especially if the other person uses a desktop or non-Android device.
This version of Skype for mobile devices proves highly appealing despite its occasional performance issues. Visually and in terms of features, this is probably the best VoIP app for Android. Download it right now, but keep in mind that its performance will likely depend on your specs and OS version.
Skype keeps the world talking. Say "hello" with an instant message, voice or video call - all for free*, no matter what device they use Skype on. Skype is available on phones, tablets, PCs, and Macs.
- Video calls - Don't just hear the cheers, see them! Get together with 1 or 24 of your friends and family on a HD video call. Watch everyone's smiles and cries when you tell them "We're engaged!!!"
- Chat - Reach people instantly. Send messages to your friends, grab someone's attention with @ mentions, or create a group chat to plan a family reunion.
- Share - Send photos and videos with your family and friends. Save shared photos and videos to your camera roll. Share your screen to make travel plans with friends or present designs to your team.
- Voice calls - Camera shy? Make voice calls to anyone in the world on Skype. You can also call mobile and landlines at low rates.
- Express yourself - Liven up conversations with emoticons, click on the "+" in chat to send a Giphy or images from the web, and annotate images with words, lines and more.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.