Nook offers lots of books and advanced settings, but it's locked down to Barnes & Noble. If you're already tied to that ecosystem, it's a fantastic app. It's also good way to get a few free eBooks or read new books on your favorite gadget.
This app requires you to sign in with a Barnes & Noble account. Once you do, it will let you read any books you buy on all of your gadgets, including smartphones, tablets and, of course, eReaders. The app makes it relatively easy to browse the entire Barnes & Noble collection, too. It starts you off with a few freebies that are in the public domain. New books download really quickly; it took only a few seconds to get a robust novel like "Pride and Prejudice." The app mimics a book with a neat page-turning animation whenever you move to the next page. Nook can change page colors, layout, and more, but you'll probably be most comfortable sticking to the default settings.
There's a reason this app has been one of the most popular eReaders for a while. It gives you solid features and plenty of things to read. If you're tempted to try Nook, there's never been a better time. It's a neat way to turn your tablet into an eReader.
- NOOK Kids books enhancements, featuring Read and Record, and sideloaded EPub3 FXL books
- New settings option to use the volume buttons to turn pages
- OpenDyslexic now available as an additional font option
- Improvements to wishlist and search
- Updated for Android Oreo (8.0) and Chromebook
- Additional compatibility support and general bug fixes
Get the FREE NOOK Reading App for your Android smartphone or tablet to start enjoying Barnes & Noble's award-winning eBook discovery and digital reading experience. Access our vast online library of over 4 million eBooks, magazines, graphic novels, and comics; plus, enjoy recommendations just for you curated by our expert booksellers. Customize your experience with multiple font and page styles and robust organization and social sharing tools.
Put down your reading and pick up where you left off--even as you jump from one device to another. The NOOK Reading App syncs across all your devices.
Barnes & Noble at Your Fingertips
- Shop the latest new releases, bestsellers, and promotions. Browse expert recommendations just for you! The more you use NOOK, the better our suggestions.
- Over 1 million free titles! Try a new author or start a new series risk-free.
- Enjoy thousands of kids' interactive picture books. Use the "Read and Record" function and never miss story time, even when you can't be there in person.
- Download free eBook samples and add favorites to your Wishlist.
- Try any newspaper or magazine free for 14 days*.
Rich, Customizable Reading
- Adjustable font styles, line spacing, margins, page animations, background color and screen brightness for more comfortable reading.
- Add notes, bookmarks, and highlights as you read. Share favorite highlights with friends across social networks.
- Organize your Library into custom collections.
- Search inside the book and look up words with the downloadable in-app dictionary.
- Use ArticleView to easily read magazine articles using customized font settings.
- Enjoy Comics with Zoom View for a guided panel by panel reading experience.
- Accessible to blind and low vision users leveraging Android assistive technology that includes screen magnification and TalkBack.
One App for the Whole Family
- With Profiles, family members can share an account while still enjoying their own customized NOOK experience.
- Share eBooks, magazines, newspapers, and comics across Profiles--no need to purchase again! Reading position, bookmarks, highlights, and notes are saved to each Profile.
- Child Profiles come with full parental controls, so you control what your child sees.
Discovery Delivered Daily
- Visit B&N Readouts for daily streams of free book excerpts, magazine articles, and all kinds of bookish news--including reviews from our community. Share on social, email, and other apps.
- Join the thousands of NOOK readers on Serial Reads, Barnes & Noble's latest free reading program. Enjoy a book every month, delivered in free daily chapters directly to your device. Titles are hand-picked by B&N editors across genres.
- Enjoy our Free Fridays eBook selection every week.
*NOOK account and credit card registration required.