Facebook Messenger for iOS offers just about everything you'd want in a messaging app, with hooks into your Facebook contacts to help you connect with friends.
Multiple ways to add contacts: Messenger automatically connects you to your Facebook friends, and you can add non-Facebook contacts via their mobile phone numbers. When prompted by the app, you have the option of uploading your phone contacts to Facebook or using your phone number to connect with those who are not Facebook friends. You also have the choice of using Messenger as your default SMS app.
Optional encryption: Messenger's Secret Conversations is available on Android and iOS devices to send and receive end-to-end encrypted messages. Group messages and video and voice calls aren't supported. By default, Secret Conversations are not turned on in Messenger; you need to enable the feature to encrypt messages.
Chat with friends: In addition to handling text chats, Messenger is loaded with goodies to make your messages more entertaining, including adding stickers and GIFs to chats.
Voice and video: Messengers lets you make free worldwide voice and video calls. After a group chat, Messenger remembers the participants if you want to chat up the same group later.
Play games: Challenge friends to nearly three dozen games, including Space Invaders and Galaga. In a conversation, tap the Game Controller icon, select a game, and tap Play Now to challenge a friend.
More than just chat: Snap photos, capture videos (including ones with Snapchat-like filters and stickers), and record voice messages to share. Tap the dollar sign icon to send and receive money with friends. You can also add chatbots that will help you make travel plans, for example, or see the latest news.
A tight fit: Though Facebook had the good sense to make Messenger its own mobile app instead of yoking it to the Facebook app, Messenger still packs a lot into one app. Remembering where to find some features can be challenging.
Facebook's Messenger packs a lot of goodness into one app, from text, voice, and video chat to classic arcade games. With seemingly everyone on Facebook, Messenger might be the only messaging app you need to keep in touch with family and friends.
* SEND A MESSAGE - Skip exchanging phone numbers, just send a message. It's seamless across devices.
* CUT DOWN GLARE WITH DARK MODE. Dark mode is a sleek look that's easy on the eyes, by switching the background from white to black.
* SHOW YOUR REACTION - Add a silly sticker, send a dancing GIF and use emojis to express yourself better.
* SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS - Capture the moment with the Messenger Camera, add a filter or doodle, then send to friends or share to Stories.
* HOP ON A CALL OR VIDEO CHAT - Hang out anywhere, anytime by getting on call or a group video** chat -- filters optional :) **Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise standard data charges apply.
* SEND A VOICE MESSAGE - When text just won't cut it, just hit record and send say, sing or shout it out loud.
* SEND MONEY SECURELY AND EASILY (within US only) - Send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal* account.
* SHARE YOUR LOCATION - Suggest a meeting spot or tell friends where you are by sharing your location with just a few taps.
* CHAT WITH BUSINESSES - Easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals and more.