With the ingenious IFTTT (If This Then That), you can schedule actions that get performed automatically when pre-defined triggers are activated. Rather than using basic time-based scheduling, the app introduces the concept of recipes, which are made up of channels like Android features, apps, and devices. An example of a recipe would be: If I take a new Instagram photo, then set it as my wallpaper.
Clever: IFTTT acts as a more advanced task scheduler, relying on triggers rather than predetermined dates and times to perform all manner of actions, from the straightforward "send me a notification if it will rain tomorrow," to more complex recipes like "record new Twitter followers in a Google Drive spreadsheet" or "track holiday packages via SMS." Hundreds of triggers and actions are supported.
Great concept: Using ready-made recipes or creating your own by adding two channels, a trigger and an action, beats pretty much any other task scheduling concept we've heard of. Add the slick UI, the great collections of recipes available, and the wealth of options for popular triggers like Facebook, Twitter, or Android photos, and you get an app with a lot of potential.
Ready-made recipes: There are hundreds of ready-made recipes created by other users that you can use as your own. A Collections tab helps you find theme-based recipes, while other tabs like Featured, Trending, and All Time make it easy for you to discover new recipes.
Sometimes unreliable: While most recipes we tested worked, some either did not work at all, or not at the right time. Location-based recipes or those that depended on a timer proved the most quirky, and we also had issues with basic file uploading to Google Drive.
Somewhat limited: Although the app offers a wide range of app triggers and actions, it doesn't actually let you add your own apps or create your own app actions but features a predefined set of channels, which you can combine into recipes.
IFTTT is a clever, useful app that may not be perfect yet, but is definitely worth a try if you find yourself spending a lot of time performing the same tasks.
+ We fixed a bug that prevented some users from viewing their selected location on a map during Location Applet configuration.
+ Brand new services on IFTTT include: Sonos, Flo, OOLER, mui, Home Connect Roxxter, beam, ChatWork, Anyware Services, AduroSmart, innogy SmartHome, LiveSmart, Connexoon Asia & Oceania, and Fort Collins Utilities Commercial Conservation Events
Applets bring your favorite services together to create new experiences.
Over 600 apps work with IFTTT including Twitter, Telegram, Google Drive, Twitch, Weather Underground, Instagram, Gmail, and devices like Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Nest, Philips Hue, and your Android.
Turn on Applets and:
- Control everything around you with your voice and Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Stay informed about what's happening from publications like The New York Times and ProPublica
- Always stay prepared for the weather with custom daily forecast notifications
- Message roommates when you're near the local grocery
- Get an alert as soon as there's a new Craigslist listing that matches you search
- Stay safe with automated and intelligent home security alerts
- Streamline your social media
- Back up and share your Android photos automatically
- Back up important files, photos, and contacts to cloud-storage solutions, such as Dropbox or Google Drive
- Set your home thermostat to an optimal temperature when you arrive home
- Post all your Instagrams as Twitter photos or Pinterest pins
- Trigger events based on your current location
There are thousands of use cases! New services are added every week. Some popular ones include:
Twitch, Telegram, Spotify, YouTube, Google Calendar, Tumblr, Medium, Pocket, Square, eBay, Giphy, Automatic, LIFX, Fitbit, Withings, littleBits, Google WiFi, Evernote, Reddit, Digg, Skype, Slack, LINE, MailChimp, Salesforce, Todoist, and hundreds more.
Browse our curated collections to find Applets for:
- The home, office, and car
- Staying informed on news and politics
- Your Android devices
- Exploring outer space
- Improving how you use social media
Do more with the services you love. Discover the power of Applets at ifttt.com/discover