One of the most accessible translating apps currently available on Android, Google Translate does a great job at translating individual words but stumbles often when it comes to sentences, especially longer ones. Still, it remains a highly convenient real-time translator with support for all the major languages of the globe and great features like speech and camera translation, as well as offline support.
Google Translate comes with a polished, streamlined interface that's a pleasure to use. The real-time conversion means that if you don't get a word right, you can quickly try a synonym. But that won't be the case often, because when it comes to word-for-word translations, the app impresses with its accuracy, even when dealing with lesser-known languages. With sentences and paragraphs, the app does get the meaning right most of the time, but the translation isn't always grammatical, or when it is, it's rough. Still, it doesn't get better than this with current free translation tools. Apart from this app's main type-to-translate feature, you'll also like the speak-to-translate option and the ability to translate images taken with the camera, both of which are reasonably accurate. The phrasebook and the ability to handwrite rather than type words are two other nice touches.
If you need a handy translator for travel or work, you won't be disappointed with Google Translate, especially if English is one of the languages you use. Just remember that this app is not intended to replace professional translators.
Improved offline translations with upgraded language downloads
- Translate between 103 languages by typing
- Tap to Translate: Copy text in any app and your translation pops up
- Offline: Translate 59 languages when you have no Internet
- Instant camera translation: Use your camera to translate text instantly in 38 languages
- Camera Mode: Take pictures of text for higher-quality translations in 37 languages
- Conversation Mode: Two-way instant speech translation in 32 languages
- Handwriting: Draw characters instead of using the keyboard in 93 languages
- Phrasebook: Star and save translations for future reference in any language
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Google Translate may ask for permission to access the following features:
- Microphone for speech translation
- Camera for translating text via the camera
- SMS for translating text messages
- External storage for downloading offline translation data
- Accounts and credentials for signing-in and syncing across devices