Offering a wealth of medical information, Epocrates can be an invaluable tool not only for doctors but also for patients. While the content is outstanding, the app suffers from a slow, outdated interface and a tedious setup process.
Amazing content: Epocrates features a humongous medical database, including comprehensive sections such as Drug and Disease Reference, Infectious Diseases, and Lab Tests, which can be used by medical practitioners on a daily basis while examining and treating patients. Half of registered U.S. physicians use this app, so its reliability is as high as it gets.
Fantastic features: This app includes a convenient Pill ID for identifying medication based only on appearances; comparative Tables for many categories, including Antibiotic Regimens, Drug Classes, and Psychiatry; U.S. healthcare insurance formularies; research information and medical news, and even a Provider Directory for finding providers for consults and referrals. All of these features are easy to use and highly informative, and they're not provided by any other medical app we know of.
Drug interaction check: Of all the great features this app includes, the Interaction Check is the one we like the most. Supporting up to 30 different drugs, it allows doctors as well as patients to discover drug incompatibilities and minimize adverse effects.
Tedious registration: Before you can use this app you have to register an account, a process that takes several minutes. Afterward, if you opt for a free 30-day trial, which is necessary to access all the content, you have to wait at least six or seven minutes more to download some files.
Outdated interface: While relatively accessible and quite easy to navigate, the user interface lags and doesn't feel too responsive. This app needs a makeover.
In spite of its outdated, laggy UI, Epocrates stands out as one of the best medical apps available for Android. Whether you're a medical practitioner, a medical student, or just a health-conscious consumer, this is a fantastic app to have.
Thanks for using Epocrates! To make your experience even better, we update the app regularly. Here's what's new:
-Simplified creating an account.
-General content updates.
-Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
#1 Medical App - DRG "Taking the Pulse" U.S. Physicians Survey 2010-2018
Join over 1 million health care professionals worldwide who use Epocrates in the moments of care:
- Drugs - Review essential drug prescribing and safety information, including adult and pediatric dosing, adverse reactions, contraindications, black box warnings, pregnancy and lactation considerations, and more--for thousands of drugs
- Formulary - Access national/regional healthcare insurance formularies for co-pay tiers, quantity limits, step-therapy guidelines, prior authorization requirements, and alternatives
- Interaction Check - Identify clinically significant interactions between brand, generic, or OTC drugs and access actionable recommendations to mitigate potentially harmful effects
- Tables - Use our concise, quick-reference guides to find drug information on a wide range of topics, including ACLS protocols, drug class comparisons, endocarditis prophylaxis, vaccinations, Zika virus, and more!
- Calculators - Quickly access dosing calculators, medical equations, and more tools for easy use at the point of care
- Guidelines - View patient-specific recommendations from our library of evidence-based clinical guidelines--designed to be used in under a minute
- Pill ID - Quickly identify and verify drugs by imprint code, color, shape, or other attributes
- Notifications - Scan brief summaries of practice-changing news from the medical literature as well as important updates from CDC and FDA
In addition, disease information, alternative medications, labs, ICD-10 codes, and more content is available by upgrading to an Epocrates Plus subscription.
Shop your favorite products and we’ll find the best deal with a single click. Designed to make shopping easier.