phpBB - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

phpBB

CNET Editors' note: PHPBB requires a Web server or Web-hosting account running an SQL database system such as MySQL or MS Access via ODBC.

Publisher's Description

More Products to Consider

• DownloadX ActiveX D...
    Download files faster and safer with your Web and Windows appli...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • HxD Hex Editor
    Inspect and edit any file, main memory, or disk/disk image.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Java Development Ki...
    Compile, debug, and run Java applications on your computer.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Microsoft .NET Fram...
    Build and run the next generation of applications and XML Web s...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • MiniBB
    Run a full-functioning, light-weight bulletin board system.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • EditPlus
    Edit plain text files, HTML documents, PHP, and Java code.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Agon NetBoard 2 (Fa...
    Play Fanorona with your friends and unknown gamers through the ...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Edencity Download (...
    Browse chat community EdenCity.de without installing Java.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Orwell Dev-C++
    Compile C/C++ code for free.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Who's online?
    See who are currently logged in on WebBrush board from your des...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Notepad++
    Edit several programming languages running under the MS windows...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Analyzer
    Test and debug any kind of PHP-Nuke with PHPBB2 installation.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Java Development Ki...
    Compile, debug, and run Java applications on your computer.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Occult Boards Brows...
    Join an online occult community.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Microsoft Visual St...
    Write better-quality code, reduce security-related issues, and ...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • VUBB Forum/Bulletin...
    Manage user groups and forums.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Hex Workshop
    Hex edit, cut, copy, paste, insert, fill, and delete binary dat...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • PayPal Shop Maker
    Build your PayPal shop without the need of learning how to inte...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • XAMPP
    Create and develop your own applications using Web server techn...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • EG Chess
    Play 3D chess in online mode.

This download is served from an external site

close

NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.

Continue to download

Sponsored Products

Visit Site
  • FlashPioneer Web Co...
    Use a video chat tool and build your online community.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Tams11 Parchisi
    Play online version of the popular board game Patchisi.
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • Lannouncement
    Post emergency messages to bulletin boards that pop up on users...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
  • AnyLexic Server: Te...
    Get a software tool for sharing a common database of dictionari...
    Download

Installed

Smart Install
All User Reviews

Results 1-10 of 21

• 5.0 stars

"Great free fast & easy setup forum with great mods"

May 31, 2011  |   By BOttaviano

Version: phpBB 3.0.8

Pros

Free, easy setup, many mods, great admin panel.

Cons

None yet that I can see.

Summary

Been using phpbb3 for about a month now and found it to be very easy to administer. I have very little css & php experience but was able to quickly modify my pages to my custom css. I have also added a blog and image resizing mod with little effort.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

• 1.0 stars

"cant even figure out how to get the damn thing to work"

August 1, 2007  |   By shurlocke

Version: phpBB 2.0.8a

Pros

couldn't even use it!

Cons

online instructions everywhere suck bad, they don't tell u where to get phpmyadmin, or mysql, write instructions as if you know how to use those latter two, and i keep running into dead links.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (1) (0)

• 1.0 stars

"Welcome to hell"

August 11, 2006  |   By sammydavisrox

Pros

Stay away from this like it is the plague! Or better yet, try asking your host about phpbb before you download it. When I first asked my host about it, they told me that the software was full of bugs and that I was probably better off with something else. But I couldn't find anything else at the time. Now I wish I would have listened. The whole system seems like it was designed and is now run by 5 year olds. And I guarantee you'll run into a new problem every week, regardless of your history in web design. Most of the things that you think should come standard in the software, aren't included. Instead, you have to download 10's - 100's of modifications just to set the board up to make it useable... ergo, some of the mods like the the descriptive time zone mod. Something as simple as time zones that list more than just GMT +1, 2, and 3 hours should be built into the software. How many people can tell you what GMT timezone they're in without further instructions? On their so-called "support forums" about 90% of the people there think mods like that should come standard and become exasperated thanking the person that made the mod. But they still wouldn't consider making it a standard feature if you stabbed them in the eye with the idea. There are dozens of other 'mods' that you would think should be built in but you wind up putting in months to install yourself. They have a mod called Easymod which is supposed to install everything for you. But more often than not, it fails.

Cons

And none of these modifications are 'easymod compliant.' They have a system set up to tell you if it is compliant with easymod and they do sometimes 'validate' the mods with the auto-installer, but they aren't actually sure if it's compatible. Therefore, the system never gets used and you really can't tell if it's going to ruin your whole board or not... until you install it. Trying to get help from their support forums, is like trying to get money to rain down from the sky. It's almost impossible. They have a search feature set up to go through (over 1,000,000 topics) but it doesn't work. More often than not, you'll run into a blank white page or be presented with 1 page of completely unrelated topics that gives you the option of going to one of the other page choices at the bottom of the screen, which leads to a blank white page. So now you're only choice is getting help from them directly. Oh, you don't want that... Good luck finding the right forum(s) to put it in. If you put it in the Support forum, they'll tell you it's a Dicussion problem. But if you put it in the Discussion forum, they'll tell you it's an operator error. More often than not though, they'll just tell you said something wrong in your message and lock your topic. They couldn't be any less friendly. You sometimes may get lucky enough to have another visitor of the forums answer your question for you but most of the time, those questions either go unanswered or they're received with hostility. Having phpbb is like having three wives. Imagine the stress that would bring, or just download phpbb and see for yourself. But you've been warned.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (3) (0)

• 5.0 stars

"Download problems"

July 22, 2006  |   By robphil777

Pros

If you visit their site @ phpbb.com you can get the latest download. I don't know why the link isn't updated but it shouldn't be a hindrance to downloading what seems to be a TOTALLY FREE and USEFULL program. Cnet use to have links to the publishers websites which I've always used to be sure that I had the latest download file. Apparently cnet has disabled this.

Cons

Not known at this time.

Reply to this review

• 5.0 stars

"sweet"

February 25, 2006  |   By smart_phil_dude1

Pros

this is very helpfull

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (1)

• 1.0 stars

"Refusal to download = Bad review"

January 12, 2006  |   By Overkill97

Pros

Wouldn't download through Firefox, IE, or by using alternate links. Per previous reviews, it sounds like they've got a problem.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (4) (0)

• 3.0 stars

"not bad"

October 17, 2005  |   By darkcarnival

Pros

It's a good program for those who don't want to code their own. It is also better on updating security holes than other board software(counting vbulletin as well). it may get attacked more but that's only due to the huge fanbase it has(its just like how windows keep getting attacked alot)

Cons

support could be better, esp for those who are trying to find converters. can't tell you how many people I see get ignored when they ask for a converter that works for what they use and what version they use at that. In short, they seriously need to update their converter paks as most of those span to versions made 5 years ago. but support is something they need help on.

Reply to this review

• 5.0 stars

"Great"

August 14, 2005  |   By testsims

Pros

Cool free download

Cons

Nothing

Reply to this review

• 5.0 stars

"Excellent OpenSource software"

July 13, 2005  |   By Anon_

Pros

It's free. The support is great, and can be moulded into any site. There are hundreds of individual skins available to make your site stand out, and the modding community is huge, with over 380 offical mods validated, and hundreds more in beta and at 3rd party sites. Incredibly easy to set up with a 2 step install system, and runs on free software, Apache, PHP and MySQL. Unlike other forum systems, this can be used on other database systems. MSSQL, Access, and Oracle among others are supported, with Firebird and SQLite being added in future versions. There is no bloat to it, all the essential features are there, and every other function you could imagine is available. It is also incredibly secure, provided you keep up to date with releases, is rock solid. It's incredibly flexible too. Being free it's suitable for small sites, and being open source it's also suited to the largest user base. The biggest forum on the web, Gaia-online with over 300 million posts posted by 2 million users with over 20,000 users online at any time uses phpBB as it's backend. It's really that stable.

And it's the only suitable open source forum. Most other true open source forums are minimal, and don't have everything it takes to have a fully functioning site. And others claim to be open source, but really aren't. Go with phpBB, you can't go wrong.

Cons

vBulletin fans

Reply to this review

• 5.0 stars

"great!"

April 4, 2005  |   By maddudeonline

Pros

there are so many 100% easy to customise

no ads

easy to install

classic

great support

Cons

the only con is like to code my own but thats just me :)

Reply to this review

Results 1-10 of 21

Add Your Review

You are logged in as . Please submit your review for phpBB 3.0.11
Add Your Review

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

Submit your reply

Submit

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

cancel

E-mail this review

Submit cancel

Report offensive content

If you believe this comment is offensive or violates the CNET's Site Terms of Use, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the comment). Once reported, our staff will be notified and the comment will be reviewed.

Select type of offense:

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language
Spam: Advertisements or commercial links
Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users
Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content
Submit cancel

See more CNET content tagged:

Previous Versions:

Error

close

ERROR MESSAGE

If you think this is an error, please contact CNET TechTracker Support for further assistance.

Ok

Running Request

close

Smart Install Software

close

CNET TechTracker will now automatically install software without requiring further action by you. (Note: This feature automatically accepts associated EULAs and third party applications on your behalf.)

You have selected the following software to Smart Install:

CNET TechTracker will attempt to install this software without interrupting you again. If an application requires manual installation, CNET TechTracker will download the installer and prompt you to take further action.

Proceed with Smart Install?

Confirm Standard Install Cancel

Submit a problem report for phpBB

close

Please describe the problem you have with this software. This information will be sent to our editors for review.

Problem:

The CNET Installer isn't working as expected

The download link does not work

The software has a newer version

The software contains malware

Other

Description:

Please select a feedback type.

Please enter a description.

Submit Problem Report

Problem Report submitted

close

Thank you for submitting a problem report! The Download team is committed to providing you with accurate software information.

OK

Installed

Smart Install
phpBB