CNET Editors' review
Airprint Activator, now known as handyPrint, is an app that lets you put Airprint support on older printing devices that do not natively support this protocol. Designed to run on iOS and Mac OS X, handyPrint may be a great solution for those who either have older printers, or find that Airprint support has been lost during an OS upgrade. We couldn't find handyPrint on the App Store, but there are several sites, including the publisher's (netputing.com), that offer downloads.
handyPrint installs on your favorite iDevice easily enough. It integrates with the menu bar, adding a new "Open handyPrint" option that pops up a dialog allowing you to control Airprint access through handyPrint or not. It also shows local printers that are discovered on the network, allowing you to support them through Airprint (even if they do not have native Airprint support). For handyPrint to work with a shared networked printer, the printer has to be accessible by a Mac OS or iOS device that is on and can see the printer, acting as a hub for Airprint capabilities. Turn that device off, and Airprint capabilities to that printer is lost (unless you have other devices that have it enabled).
handyPrint is very easy to use. We added several older Canon and HP printers to our iMac hub device and could then use handyPrint to access them from any iOS or MacOS device that was sharing that iMac. In use, handyPrint is transparent and most users won't worry about Airprint support at all. For those with older printers, handyPrint is a really useful app.
Run AirPrint Activator on your Mac to share local and network attached printers to an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 4.2 or newer. AirPrint Activator listen to all local network printer advertisements and make them available via AirPrint. If it is shared and visible by your Mac it will be advertised.
What's new in this version:
- Improved Assistant
- Restart Daemon after wakeup from sleep
- New option to hide computer name from printer advertisements
- Other minor bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Menu bar extension like the classic Apple menu.
- Customize the appearance and behavior of your Mac.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Set a different desktop picture for each Space.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Get iOS-type reverse scrolling for OS X.
- Have a single place in your hard-drive to organize your baKno g...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Find, remember, and learn menu shortcuts.
- Menu extras: CPU, disk, memory & network monitoring.
- Original & exclusive wallpapers designed by artists from around...
- Makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of...
- Clipboard manager.
- Printer driver for the multi-function device.
- Drive the super fast cars to see if you can beat the other ones...
- Connects a Mac to most PC printers.
- Share your Mac's printers with iPhone and iPads on your network...
- Manage system and user services on your Mac.
- Stick images, view live webcams on your desktop.
- Allows remote printing through TCP/IP.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 57 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Very good and useful app"
Version: handyPrint 3.1.2
works very fast
At least one computer in the network has to be running. It would be good if the app could be run from a NAS
"Excellent flexible product"
Version: handyPrint 3.1.2
Easy to use, hides away in the background
Nothing to complain about
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content