CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
YouTube, the world's most popular video site, is available via native Android app. It comes preloaded on most (if not all) Android phones, and using it is a lot more convenient than navigating to YouTube from a browser. Note: if you're not running Android 4.0 or higher, some of the YouTube app's features may not be available on your device.
The beauty of the newest version of YouTube for Android is the quick-draw sliding navigation panel on the left side of the screen. Tap the YouTube icon at the top to bring it out, revealing links to your channel subscriptions, recommendations, trending videos, live broadcasts, and more. Categories are listed as well, in case you want to browse, though you won't find all of the categories that you will on the full Web site. Of course, if you're looking for something specific, you can always tap the search bar at the top of the screen.
Avid YouTubers should be happy to find that all the in-video functions from the YouTube site are available in the app as well. You can easily favorite, flag, comment on, save to playlist, or give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to videos. You can also share videos through your device's other installed applications like Twitter, Facebook, Gmail, and so on.
If you fancy yourself a YouTube creator, you can easily upload a video straight from your Android camera app as well. When you do this, YouTube gives you the option to title and tag your video, as well as adjust other settings before uploading to your YouTube account. It's all very simple.
One of the newer features to come to YouTube is the capability to preload videos while you're charging or on Wi-Fi, for smoother playback at a later time. You're not actually downloading the videos, so you still need a data connection to watch, but preloading saves you from having to buffer while on the go. This takes up some memory, but is great for battery life.
Lastly, the app now lets you use your Android device to control and watch YouTube videos on your computer or YouTube-enabled television. The process of pairing your devices is a little rough, but it certainly works. Once you get it all set up, you can search for and queue up videos from your phone or tablet, for playback on a bigger screen (i.e. a computer or YouTube-enabled television).
Overall, YouTube for Android offers an enjoyable mobile viewing experience. It could use more robust browsing options and a smoother device-pairing process, but for most viewing and uploading purposes, it does exactly what you need it to do.
Android 3.2+ devices: v.4.0
* New UI: Guide on the left side of the screen with instant access to channels
* Preload videos while on WiFi and charging for smooth playback on the go
* Turn your phone into a remote, to play YouTube videos on other devices
* Access your watch History across devices
Earlier Android devices: v.2.4
* Sign-in with Google account
* HD playback (on capable phones)
* Multiple bug fixes
What's new in this version: * +1 button* 'Watch later' queue* Uploading while editing video info
More Products to Consider
- The best sound machine!.
- Sync iTunes playlists, rate music and build playlists directly ...
- Enjoy all your media on your Android phone with Orb Live.
- MX Video Player - The best way to enjoy your movies.a) MULTI-CO...
- Turn your phone into a wireless camera! Supports Windows, Mac a...
- SYBLA TV Sybla TV brings you the best Arabic and international ...
- YO. This is AutoRap. It turns speech into rap, and corrects bad...
- Bass Booster - Equalizer - Volume Booster - 10 Presets.
- Make free Skype-to-Skype video calls, and call phones at Skype ...
- Mix and scratch 2 MP3 files on your Android device.
- Rocket Player 2.1 or higher is required for this app to operate...
- The best movies collection.
- Turn your Android, iOS, Symbian phones into wireless cameras an...
- Sexiest Wet T-Shirt girls on Video!!!.
- Hide pictures and videos from prying eyes safely! Hides app ico...
- Download your favorite videos from websites!.
- Watch, bookmark, download, or share Facebook videos on your An...
- Unlimited Music. Everywhere.
- Create Dubstep remixes your favorite songs by " Dubstep Sound M...
- Free Video Chat, VoIP calls and IMs for Android, iPhone, all br...
- The Ultimate Skrillex Dub Step Drum Pads - Beat Maker --->>>.
- Safari Books Online is a digital library providing on-demand su...
- Play almost any type of digital music files with Wide/Reverb/X-...
- This App only comes in the PRO version. For serious EDM musicia...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: YouTube 4.0
Leaving comments and likes are breeze. The text is really clear and easy to read.
New sub box is unbelievably cluttered.
they need more options on sorting your sub box into the stuff you actually want to see... i don't want to see when "random youtuber" likes a video. It makes it frustrating to find the video's that you actually care about and subbed for. On the whole a nice update but i like the one version purely for clarity.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content