CNET Editors' review
We like lots of widgets, but not all of them, and that's sort of the point: there's a desktop widget for every need and every taste available for free, customized exactly the way you like it, thanks to XWidget. This free app comes with a bunch of ready-made widgets that can check the weather, stock prices, headlines, and messages; display compact slideshows; play video; add and subtract; and anything you can do with a widget. But the really cool thing is the XWidget Designer, a sophisticated tool for creating and customizing widgets. It lets you change the size, color, finish, action, and properties of your widgets. The optional Dashboard and a variety of pop-up Config dialogs make it easy to deploy your widgets, too. Extras include a screenshot tool.
XWidget's features are dispersed in its widgets, in the Dashboard, and in the XWidget Designer, not to mention separate configuration screens and options panels for most widgets and features, too. The Dashboard is a prominent feature in its default mode, though you can customize it, like most of XWidget's features. It displays available widgets in a scrolling panel along the bottom of the screen. Three widgets open with the program: a stylishly mod analog clock face, a compact photo gallery, and an even smaller weather widget. We right-clicked the Weather widget and quickly changed our location to access local weather data. The same menu accesses all kinds of options; for instance, clicking Edit opened the widget in the XWidget Designer, while the Configure option opened a compact properties sheet for quickly setting and locking position and other basic choices.
XWidget has received some significant upgrades since we last tried it, and it's a smooth performer with little in the way of issues, though we did have some trouble displaying the Dashboard from the program's main menu, and many of the supplied widgets still bear names like EkerTime and EkerWeahter (yes, "weahter") but that's hardly more than a quibble. XWidget more than makes up for it with its advanced customization capabilities. The XWidget Designer is this program's hidden attraction: Don't like something? Change it!XWidget - Enhance your desktop with different widgets - Download Video Previews:
From XWidget Software Studio:
XWidget is a free desktop customization platform. It's light, handy with powerful visual widget editor and very subtle animations. More fast startup speed, low resources taken, with smooth animation effect.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed: old WidgetPackage/ThemePackage Ext can not support problom
- Fixed: Some weather tags not support problom
- Add: XWDesigner Android mode support Rotatoer/NumbImg Controls,Battery Core
- Add: XWDesigner Android mode hotspots can not display preview color problom
- Add: AccuWeatherCore tags add "simpleWeatherIcon",only need 8 kind of icon: sun,cloudy,fog,rain,lightning,snow,moon,moon_cloudy
- Some bugs fixed
- Improved stability
More Products to Consider
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Decorate your desktop with beautiful animated wallpapers.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get your daily scoop of news headlines and photos on your Vista...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Access useful tools via multifunctional desktop utility.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Provide platform-independent desktop widget manager and develop...
- Install Mac OSX Lion Launchpad for Windows and get instant acce...
- Add a desktop icon when you use a thumb drive or DVD.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- View all your pictures plus videos, photos, and news from RSS f...
- Read news from TheSimsStories.com.
- View the current song cover in a customizable skin.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Add standalone applications that provide a variety of features ...
- Determine if a domain name is free.
- View BOINC stats on your desktop.
- View the latest business news from various channels.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 31 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: XWidget 1.88.1
Offers a cool and customize-able widget enhancement to your desktop, for those of us that like 'eye-candy'. But.
Has several addons which are considered malware/spyware/PUPs, etc. It's difficult for many people to install xwidget without also inadvertently installing these addons.
Installed....but spent the next 15 minutes UN-INSTALLING and removing all the CRAPWARE that snuck in. Never again will I install xwidget. Nor will I ever again get my software from Cnet, with its own 'downloader' full of "offers"!
Version: XWidget 1.88.1
Lots of customization alternatives.
None I've experienced, and I don't, frankly, understand why all of these other reviewers have experienced these problems, when I haven't. I've been using XWidget for almost two years now. Go figure....
For me, virtually indispensable (no pun intended).
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content