CNET Editors' review
We like lots of widgets, but not all of them, and that's sort of the point: there's a desktop widget for every need and every taste available for free, customized exactly the way you like it, thanks to XWidget. This free app comes with a bunch of ready-made widgets that can check the weather, stock prices, headlines, and messages; display compact slideshows; play video; add and subtract; and anything you can do with a widget. But the really cool thing is the XWidget Designer, a sophisticated tool for creating and customizing widgets. It lets you change the size, color, finish, action, and properties of your widgets. The optional Dashboard and a variety of pop-up Config dialogs make it easy to deploy your widgets, too. Extras include a screenshot tool.
XWidget's features are dispersed in its widgets, in the Dashboard, and in the XWidget Designer, not to mention separate configuration screens and options panels for most widgets and features, too. The Dashboard is a prominent feature in its default mode, though you can customize it, like most of XWidget's features. It displays available widgets in a scrolling panel along the bottom of the screen. Three widgets open with the program: a stylishly mod analog clock face, a compact photo gallery, and an even smaller weather widget. We right-clicked the Weather widget and quickly changed our location to access local weather data. The same menu accesses all kinds of options; for instance, clicking Edit opened the widget in the XWidget Designer, while the Configure option opened a compact properties sheet for quickly setting and locking position and other basic choices.
XWidget has received some significant upgrades since we last tried it, and it's a smooth performer with little in the way of issues, though we did have some trouble displaying the Dashboard from the program's main menu, and many of the supplied widgets still bear names like EkerTime and EkerWeahter (yes, "weahter") but that's hardly more than a quibble. XWidget more than makes up for it with its advanced customization capabilities. The XWidget Designer is this program's hidden attraction: Don't like something? Change it!XWidget - Enhance your desktop with different widgets - Download Video Previews:
From XWidget Software Studio:
XWidget is a free desktop customization platform. It's light, handy with powerful visual widget editor and very subtle animations. More fast startup speed, low resources taken, with smooth animation effect.
What's new in this version: Version 1.91:
- Fixed:RoundLine control can not save position in designer
- Improved webparse core display
- Fixed: Shortcutcore can not open bug
- Add: Widget popupMenu add item "Window--Position--Align Right/Bottom,X/y as percentage
- Add: Designer preview zoom function,support Ctrl+MouseWheel and Hotkey Ctrl+-
- Fixed: WidgetPackage Ext "xwidgetpkg" can not support problom
- Fixed: Weather core temp alway 0 problem
- Fixed: RSS Core setU... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Decorate your desktop with beautiful animated wallpapers.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get your daily scoop of news headlines and photos on your Vista...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Access useful tools via multifunctional desktop utility.
- Provide platform-independent desktop widget manager and develop...
- Add a desktop icon when you use a thumb drive or DVD.
- Install Mac OSX Lion Launchpad for Windows and get instant acce...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- View all your pictures plus videos, photos, and news from RSS f...
- Read news from TheSimsStories.com.
- View the current song cover in a customizable skin.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Determine if a domain name is free.
- Add standalone applications that provide a variety of features ...
- View BOINC stats on your desktop.
- View the latest business news from various channels.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 33 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: XWidget 1.91
very visible clock is like a piece of conversation
would be fun to be able to change the size,the cpu meter is too small
this app is good but place for amelioration
"Mostly clocks & weather gadgets"
Version: XWidget 1.91
Brings back a resemblance of gadgets in Windows 7
Almost all the clocks can't keep the right time on Windows 8.1 Also the time zones don't use daylight savings time. I also have to use Atlantic time instead of Eastern standard.
Would be nice to have more gadgets to monitor my computer.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content