CNET Editors' review
WriteMonkey is one of our favorite writing tools. For starters, it's portable freeware. Free is good, and portability adds flexibility: You can take WriteMonkey along with you on a USB drive and run it on any handy Windows machine. Zenware notes that WriteMonkey has "an extremely stripped-down user interface," but that's what sets it apart from other word processors and notekeepers. That "stripped-down," full-screen interface replicates the inspirational purity of a blank piece of paper. But WriteMonkey is also a full-featured writing tool that doesn't cut corners and even packs lots of cool extras, such as simulated typewriter sounds for the total effect (you provide the leather elbow patches). WriteMonkey receives frequent upgrades and new features. Recent updates include better performance on Netbooks and Windows 8 compatibility.
WriteMonkey is portable freeware that runs when you click the extracted program file and without having to be installed, though its extensive documentation includes several notes about "installing" the program, which involves copying or moving the extracted program folder to the destination of your choice, and updating it, which involves overwriting existing files. WriteMonkey opened with a blank white page in Letter proportions, labeled Scratch, and displaying discreet word and time counters. The old-school font's typeface looks like it came straight off of a mechanical typewriter. But right-click WriteMonkey's page and you'll call up a menu with no fewer than ... well, a whole lot of entries; everything from setup, options, and basic commands to unique features like the Jumps Window, which serves as a central navigation window for files, folders, bookmarks, and just about anything in WriteMonkey. Plenty of assistance is available, too. The Help Card assembles all of WriteMonkey's hotkey shortcuts and markup rules in a highly visible, white-on-black pop-up. Features like Spell Check, Italics, and Export Markup are a click or two away. The Lookups menu's fast reference links are practically indispensable.
We've used WriteMonkey for years now, and its minimalist look actually helps reduce distractions, though the draggable minimized window might be better suited for everyday use like note-taking. For us, its intuitive features and Zen-like purity keeps WriteMonkey "always on top."
From Studio Pomaranca:
Writemonkey is a Windows zenware writing application with an extremely stripped down user interface, leaving you alone with your thoughts and your words. It is light, fast and free. With an array of innovative tools under the hood, it helps you write better. Editing is for another day.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206 has fixed Wm has has been crashing on some machines (netbooks) with "Hide mouse pointer when writing" on.
More Products to Consider
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Download and convert Youtube videos to AVI, MP4, 3gp, MOV, WAV ...
- Type texts in word processor that works like an old school type...
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Store all your text documents in a virtual library.
- Download and manage torrent files.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purpose
- Create and edit various documents.
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads.
- Edit RTF, TXT and HTML files directly or copy contents from oth...
- Edit text with extra formatting.
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Extract text from optical or image files, docs, or spreadsheets...
- Extract music from YouTube movies as MP3 files.
- Perform a variety of high-precision complex calculations.
- Download and convert any YouTube video into your favorite forma...
- Edit plain text files, HTML documents, PHP, and Java code.
- Search and download videos from YouTube.
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Make use of a multi-platform text editor designed for code work...
- Create and insert custom symbols in any language.
- Download social music or video for your Windows PC.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Impossible to Install"
Version: Writemonkey 220.127.116.11
The executable file does not auto-run. Windows 7 asks for me to "Choose a program to open the file" with.
Downloaded several times, unzipped. It appears the .exe is erroneously namede exe.config which baffles Windows.
Might be good but who knows??
"Exceptional Distraction-Free Writer"
Version: Writemonkey 18.104.22.168
Many features including: Formatting; Font/Colour/Size & background choices; Save/Save As; Print; Character Symbols; Word/Character Count; Full Screen toggle - And much more.
It's perfect for amateur and professional Writer's alike as well as for those who just want to use it as a Journalling tool.
Very helpful reference/resource section to Dictionaries, Thesaurus, Wikipedia, Poetry, plus more.
On opening the program it always starts with an inspiring or amusing quote.
None that is worth mentioning.
WriteMonkey is probably the best no-cost distraction free editor that I have come across. I would even say that it rivals any paid for programs. There are so many functions at hand with Right-Clicking; It is very impressive. Runs smoothly on Windows 8. I highly recommend it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content