CNET Editors' review
Winmail Reader is a useful and simple tool for anyone who sends or receives messages from the older Microsoft Outlook 97 and 2000 applications (winmail.dat). With Winmail Reader, the user can read, convert, and save file attachments that come from Outlook, Outlook Express, and Microsoft Exchange applications as well as Thunderbird and Lotus Notes e-mail clients. It is a freeware application that works on the later versions of the Windows operating system including XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
The layout of Winmail Reader will be familiar to any Windows user, and there aren't many options, so most people will be able to jump right in without any assistance. The main display window is divided into two panes, with the one on the left listing attachment names and the right pane displaying the item that is highlighted on the left. We liked that you could drag and drop items to the interface, making it a little faster to view them. The five basic options are neatly laid out at the top of the left-hand pane, letting you quickly open or save your items. Winmail Reader also allows you to easily convert files to other formats.
The download and installation process for Winmail Reader is quick and painless. It boots up fast and runs stable under all of the latest editions of the Windows operating system. It is free, user-friendly, and is available in a number of languages. The learning curve is zero for anyone who is familiar with Windows. This is a good choice for anyone who deals with winmail.dat attachments.
Winmail Reader is simply to use Windows application for reading winmail.dat attachment files. Winmail Reader allows to view, open or save the files contained on the Winmail.dat attachment. Simple and fast to use. Winmail.dat files are sent by the MS Outlook and other e-mail clients, like Thunderbird, cannot decode them. Version 1.1.11 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 1.2.15 added Romanian language.
More Products to Consider
- Open, view, and extract data from TNEF-encoded messages.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Open, display, and print PDF documents.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Create high-quality PDF documents from any application able to ...
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Read and display PDF manuals and help files.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Preview PDF files in Windows Explorer and Microsoft Outlook as ...
- Convert your PDFs to an easily editable document and then back ...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Convert between the IGES and STEP neutral file formats.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Open, view, print, and convert PDF document on Windows 8 deskto...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Download entire Web-sites to your computer.
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Open a lot of image file formats.
- Capture, edit, print, and share photos and videos from your Web...
- Copy, move and view images of queued print jobs.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 11 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Winmail Reader 1.2.15
At least you can read that it's going to install toolbars, if you pay attention
This software disguises toolbars and "download optimizers" and "coupon monster" as part of the terms of service. It then requires you to click on "custom install to not install those components a second time.
I'll never trust cnet again.
"Does not run in Windows 8"
Version: Winmail Reader 1.2.15
None, Will not run in Windows 8.
Had hoped this program would solve my problem opening some old emails that were saved in *.eml format. But the program will not run in Windows 8.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content