CNET Editors' note: 11/26/08 - updated version to initiate ingestion - sethr.
CNET Editors' review
This handy pair of executables adds muscle to the monitor's power off function. WinFlog's small multitabbed interface offers four easily invoked functions. WinFlogTurnOff's executable needs no interface as the application simply and immediately turns off the monitor.
Operating WinFlog is very easy, especially for XP users. The program's primary tab lists two options to add a Turn Off Monitor option to the My Computer Icon right-click menu and to the desktop right-click menu. The functions are just as easily removed from the menus using single-click buttons on the same tab. The program's second tab uses a similar set of buttons to add Turn Off Aero and Turn on Aero options to the My Computer icon's right-click menu. Only Vista users will benefit from this option.
Both freeware executables offer useful monitor control functions for any level user.
Turns-OFF your monitor instantly by Adding "Monitor OFF" in the Computer Icon and Desktop Context Menu (Right-Click Menu). While "Turn OFF Aero" will give a minimal boost in performance and a good battery life. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Turn your monitor on or off with just a click of your mouse.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Shutdown or reboot your system with a single mouse click.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Search and uninstall programs quickly.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Turn your icons into a more colorful and beautiful collection o...
- Restore and save positions of your desktop icons for Windows.
- Create and manage performance monitor logs.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Increase the speed of your computer and boost available memory.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Open multiple programs by double-clicking on single icon.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Prevent possible network problems by constant monitoring of rem...
- Capture screenshots of your PC screen.
- Change your icons by grouping them into themed packages.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Display and monitor battery power of your laptop.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Just what I've been looking for"
Version: WinFlog 1
Pretty simple, does just what it says.
My only complaint is a minor one... you have to go to your desktop to switch the monitor off. It would be handy to have a button for switching off in the Start Menu or Quick Launch or something more easily accessible.
I own an HP laptop which was a replacement for my old PC. I prefer to leave the lid open at all times, but I wanted to be able to shut off the display just like I used to be able to shut off my monitor on my PC. Yes, my laptop has power options allowing me to set it up so that the display turns off after so many minutes, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted to be able to turn it off whenever I want to. I have my laptop in my living room and I use it for work. Often, I am doing work around the house, but still want to have the ability to glance over at my computer to see if anyone has messaged me. I work from home and need to be able to respond to e-mails, instant messages, and Skype calls as soon as possible. I wanted to be able to leave my screen on during the day so I don't miss anything, but still have the ability to turn it off immediately when I go to bed, or when I go out for awhile (without having to close the lid). This little utility allows me to do just that, by simply right-clicking my desktop and selecting "Turn monitor off".Nevermind my Con... just go to the WInflog folder, right-click the WinFlogTurnOff.exe and select "Pin to Start Menu" or "Add to Quicklaunch". Perfect!
Updated on Sep 25, 2008