CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will prompt a local download of the Firefox extension. To install the extension directly, open the file using your Firefox browser.
CNET Editors' review
Web Search Pro from Captain Caveman offers an innovative way of doing Internet searches. The free Firefox extension allows the user to determine beforehand how the search is to be conducted. In essence, it is like instructing the browser where to look. For example, typing a particular topic and telling it to look in Wikipedia will bring you to a specific Wiki page on the topic.
Sadly, there is no Help file to aid the new user. This would have been helpful in explaining the Drag & Drop Zone functionality of the application, which is probably its best feature. It required some fiddling on our part before we finally got the hang of it. This feature allows you to drag highlighted text and drop it into the box of a specific search engine or a group of search engines. This action results in the opening of separate tabs with search results for each search engine.
Web Search Pro presents a novel way of searching the Web, a concept akin to focused searching. You have the option to choose a specific search engine or a multitude of search engines to conduct a search. We found no issues with the installation and uninstallation of the add-on.
From Captain Caveman:
Search the Web the way you like. Web Search Pro is a new and innovative way to search the Web from Firefox.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0.7 fixed compatibility support tricks for link dragging using QuickDrag, EasyDragToGo, SuperDrag, and DragDeGo.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- Find Web pages you visited before using keyword and time-based ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Search and browse your local directories and save favorite link...
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Surf the Web by clicking URLs in convenient Internet Explorer m...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Eliminate popup ads, translate foreign Web pages, and enhance W...
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Surf the Web in your own language with this toolbar that suppor...
- Know what is going on when you surf the Web and protect your pr...
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Generate an on-the-fly Google Custom Search Engine.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Search information on the Web using different search engines an...
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Display linked pages and search the Web in Composite Page mode.
- Add search plug-ins to your Firefox browser.
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Create XML sitemap indexes based on the Google recommendations ...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simply the best!"
Version: Web Search Pro 18.104.22.168
1. Drag & Drop Zones makes Web Search Pro an awesome FF add-on.
2. The extension developer actively works at making this extension better and better.
None that I can see
This is one dynamite search tool! While there are a number of useful search extensions for Firefox I think Web Search Pro is , without question, the best of the lot. The innovative Drag & Drop Zones is out of this world. When you start to drag whatever you have highlighted a transparent grid appears. This grid can have 16, 36, or 64 boxes. In these boxes you load search engines. When you drag the selected text and drop it into the box of the search engine you want the result of the search opens in a new tab. This is really cool! The best part however is that you can load groups of search engines into the boxes and when you drop something into a "group box" the results for all the search engines in that group open in separate tabs. IT'S AWESOME! The power of your searches goes up considerably. Web Search Pro is not only convenient but is a major time saver. On my Firefox I have group search boxes for search engines, directories, metasearch, Invisible Web S.E.s, images, maps, medical, sports, news, business, computer stores, hardware reviews, software reviews, shopping, and movie reviews. It's an understatement to say that when my friends saw Web Search Pro in action on my Firefox they were quite impressed. They went bonkers! If you don't have this extension you are really missing out on one of the finest FF add-ons.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: