CNET Editors' review
WAV files are the basic sound recording unit in Windows. Much larger than MP3s and similar portable digital audio formats, WAVs are also easier to edit, thanks to tools like WavePad Sound Editor from NCH, which specializes in audio and multimedia software. It's a compact but powerful and flexible tool for analyzing and editing WAVs or just about any kind of digital audio file. It's especially useful for cleaning up and editing transcribed LP records and other digitized analog audio recordings, but you can also add effects, analyze the sound, and more.
WavePad's interface is essentially a media player with a spectral display, time indicators, and specialized controls for manipulating the audio signal. We browsed to a folder of CD tracks we'd ripped as WAVs and selected one. WavePad displayed the file's audio spectrum in two zoom-capable views, a smaller overview of the entire track above a larger, more detailed graphical display. Playback controls, a timer with hundredths of seconds, and sliders for altering the view, zooming, and other functions ring the main view, while a toolbar gives access to noise reduction tools; speed and pitch settings; echo, reverb, and other effects; plug-ins; and other tools. Clicking the Play button played our audio track, with a moving red line tracking the output on the spectral graph. This made it ultra-simple not only to divide tracks manually but also to identify and remove artifacts like clicks and pops, copy specific passages, and remove lead-in and lead-out tracks. The zoom feature let us expand any section of the spectra for pinpoint editing, such as removing the all-too-audible "pop" and "thunk" as the stylus hits the record groove and the turntable's dust cover comes down at the beginning of a session converting analog LPs to digital music files. WavePad has some interesting and useful extras, too, such as a tone generator, batch converter, and text-to-speech tool.
We've converted many LPs to WAVs, and we've always found that a good WAV editor is just as important as a good recording tool. WavePad proved both easy to use and perfectly competent, even when handling megabyte-size WAV files many times larger than itself.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of WavePad Sound Editor 4.52. The trial version is limited to 14 days.WavePad Sound Editor - Record and edit audio files - Download Video Previews:
From NCH Software:
WavePad is music editing program for Windows PCs. WavePad allows you to create and edit voice, music and other sound recordings. You can duplicate sections of recordings and add echo, amplification, noise reduction and other effects. The following is a list of features for WavePad Music Editing Software. We recommend you download and install the software to give these features a try. The download is free.* Recorder supports autotrim and voice activated recording; * Music editing functions include cut, copy, paste, delete, insert, silence, autotrim; * Music restoration features including noise reduction and click pop removal; * Special effects include reduce vocals, distortion, chorus; * Batch processing allows you to apply effects and/or convert your files as a single function; * Set bookmarks along multiple files as you work; * Create and work on multiple sound files at one time and save them as one project; * Supports sample rates from 6000 to 96000Hz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits; * Pre-defined sound quality suggestions when saving files such as CD Quality and Radio Quality; * Tools include spectral analysis (FFT) and speech synthesis (text to speech); * Load music files directly from CD; * Ability to work with multiple music files at the same time in seperate screens; A version of this software is available for free from NCH Software's website. This version is for non-commercial use. About NCH Software: NCH Software is a leader in video, dictation, audio, business and computer utility software for Windows and Mac OS. NCH Software has over 80 products and has been developing them since 1993. NCH has received several awards for excellent software.
What's new in this version: Version 5.40 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Record and edit MP3, WMA, WAV with digital audio effects.
- Edit a song the way you want.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Load or record audio clips and mix them together.
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Edit and record audio files.
- Record, edit, and manipulate audio files.
- Rip CDs, convert audio files, and burn discs easily.
- Emulate up to 18 DVD/BD drives.
- Edit your digitized audio of virtually any format in myriad dif...
- Record, edit, and convert audio files easily.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Edit and split your audio and video files into separate parts.
- Change key & tempo of MP3 & Wave songs, with high quality savin...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Edit like a Pro with an Easy Audio/Video Editor.
- Convert audio files to MP3 or WAV formats.
- Convert and backup DVDs to AVI, DivX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, WMV, ...
- Download YouTube videos and convert them into MP3 files.
- An easy to use audio editor for professionals and music lovers.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 328 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works but hits you with spam"
Version: WavePad Sound Editor Masters Edition 5.40
Intuitive, easy to use
Trial period is only 24 hours; not long enough to examine all the features. Contains ad popups that appear at regular intervals even after you purchase the full version. I hate that!!! I don't like paying for spyware, or even if it's free.
Don't buy this unless you like to be harrassed by adware when you're just trying to edit some audio files.