CNET Editors' review
For those who want a scanning program that adds features over those of native Mac applications, VueScan for Mac does just that--and it performed well in our tests.
VueScan for Mac comes with a free trial version that limits the scanners available for use. The full version costs $39.95 to unlock. The download completed as quickly as expected via a high-speed connection. A user guide was available as a link to the developer's Web site, which was a helpful feature. Support for updates also appeared to be available. The main menu had a dated design, but was functional. Main buttons were clearly labeled for primary functions like input and output, among others. The output can be changed in many ways, including printed size or file type. The right side of the window contains the image preview from the scanner and the scanned image, itself. In addition to basic scanning features, the application also allows minor editing, like color changes and cropping. These functions, along with the scanning, performed well without any glitches or programming bugs.
VueScan for Mac performs well, albeit with a dated interface. It is suitable for any Mac user who wants to add a few simple but useful tools to the scanning process.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of VueScan for Mac 9.2.18.VueScan - Get high-quality scanner driver with support for several manufacturers - Download Video Previews:
From Hamrick Software:
VueScan is a powerful scanning program that works with most scanners to produce high-quality scans that have excellent color fidelity. It takes advantage of the advanced hardware capabilities of most scanners on the market today, and helps you do batch scanning while at the same time producing color-balanced and cropped images.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed problem with excessive memory utilization
- Fixed problem with occasional crashes
- Fixed problem with 4800 dpi scan on Epson Perfection V370
- Fixed problem with 1200 dpi scans on Canon MG6300 and MG7100
- Fixed problem with Windows 2000
- Doesn't change visibility of Library folder on Mac OS X
More Products to Consider
- Scanner drivers.
- Add customizable gestures to Magic Mouse or MacBook trackpad.
- Granularly customize input device behavior.
- Scan software with over 200 built-in drivers.
- Mac driver for the Xbox 360 controller.
- Printer driver for the multi-function device.
- Enable Digidesign hardware.
- For Bamboo, Graphire, Cintiq tablets.
- LiDE 20/30 scanner drivers.
- For HP printers.
- Edit and manage your images.
- Play games with console controllers on Mac.
- For ASIO-compatible apps.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Maintain, repair, and recover system disk/drive data.
- Update your Apple DVD Player to get optimized DVD playback, Blu...
- Recover deleted pics from digital media.
- Hardware/software diagnostic tool.
- Companion for the iPad app that lets you control your Mac or PC...
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- FileMaker database to keep track of radio scanner settings.
- Driver and software for the multi-function printer.
- Clone, synchronize, back up files.
- Enable HID devices: gamepad, joystick, mice.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 932 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
"Previous versions good, this one....?"
Version: VueScan 9.4.05
Previous version does what it says on the tin.
Sadly, this version does not connect with my Epson Scanner, so I'm using the earlier .04 version of the App.
"Decent, but don't use if you shoot with Ektar"
Version: VueScan 9.3.21
Works with wide range of scanners, especially old. Results are good with TMAX. Decent control over scan.
Don't use if scanning Ektar because scans are so heavy with cyan they are unusable. You cannot get rid of it in post produciton. Asked for help, he didn't have an answer. Pointed to some suggestons in the manual, but it is out of date.
Decent software except for Ektar, then it's useless.
Version: VueScan 9.3.15
I have been using it for years with different scanners and VueScan has always worked fine either with documents and photos. I use it in Germany with the Garman interface and i am always surprised about the functionality of VueScan. And when it "didn't work" it was always may own fault and every time Ed was very patient and helpful.
None so far.
Try it - use it - and be satisfied.
"THE most responsive product support on the planet!"
Version: VueScan 9.3.15
It. Just. Works. With virtually any scanner. I wouldn't be surprised if it interfaces with my toaster-oven. ;) And if there's an issue, Ed Hamrick is all over it.
I wish this app were bundled with all scanners.
VueScan was not playing nice with the duplex scanning via ADF on my Epson WF 7520. I had an ongoing dialog and shared log files and comments with Mr. Hamrick over a span of a 5 or 6 weeks. With each successive update btwn my first contact and today, the solution got closer and closer — and as of today's release of v9.3.15, he nailed it! I now have 100% scanning functionality. Thank you, Ed!
"Does a great job with old scanners."
Version: VueScan 9.3.09
Allows the use of old scanners long after the manufacturers stop upgrading their drivers. I just produced some beautiful scans from an old Epson scanner that I hadn't used in several years. The software was very easy to use, and recognized the scanner instantly.
Well, price. But if I were writing and maintaining this software, I'd be tempted to charge even more!
Great software, invaluable when you really need when you really need to use an old scanner, or someone else's scanner and you don't have their drivers.
"The only app on the market that supports my hardware."
Version: VueScan 9.2.23
VueScan lets me keep my investment in my old but good and fully functional hardware instead of consigning it to landfill. OCR works well for capturing text, even though it can't capture layout and font details like dedicated OCR apps.
Complex interface, inability to double-click a preferences file to launch, 64-bit version is very awkward to download.
VueScan continues to support my elderly yet still fully functional HP ScanJet 5300c even though HP stopped producing drivers for it with the arrival of OS X. Once the settings are set, I can scan a stack of prints with single-button ease even though my scanner has no document feeder. All the features of my elderly Minolta negative scanner are also supported. This gives me a consistent interface for all my scanning needs.
"As bad as it gets :-("
Version: VueScan 9.2.22
+ It probbaly supports a lot of scanners but in a terrible way.
+ You get one year of free updates, but you don't need them.
- Its the worse User Interface I have ever used on a Mac. I suppose you have to be PC freak to appreciate these weird way of handling a slide scan.
- Every attempt to scan a slide gets me mad and you have to start over from the beggining again.
- Saving dialog is not automatic as you'd expect. File is tored inside Prefernces folder!?
- Look at Apple and LEARN. There are so many setting that are of little use and are not explained with pictures but with loooong explanations.
- Scanning 4 slides "DIAs" in one go is almost impossible.
Don't buy it...!
Use Apple's built-in version. It's much simpler and much more to the point without a lot of frustration, hunt and seek for the settings that might help you.
VueScan has just about NO thoughts at all about how we think and act as humans. A user interface that is so complicated is of no use regardless of the number of options and alternatives, when you cannot figure out how to get your job done.
1 Use Apple's print/scan options in Control Panel
2 Use your scanners own driver if it is understandable and capable doing the job.
3 Use VueScan if all other fails.
"It works OK"
Version: VueScan 9.2.17
supports lots of different scanners but I only own two
the upgraded version for $80 has all the features which is w2hat I need but I don't need to upgrade every other day either.
As far as my limited view can see is that the upgrades are just for new scanners.
It would be nice if it would actually scan right into Photoshop 5, 6, etc.
I really liked the Epson scanner software that came with my scanner however the new version of OSX does not support that and I am forced to use "Print & Scan" in Mountain Lion.
It is very limited.
VueScan does have all the features and I do not dislike it but I would like it a lot more if I could afford the full version.....does it ever go on sale....?
"the best one"
Version: VueScan 9.2.11
none that I can see
"Continues to be the best scanner app I have ever used"
Version: VueScan 9.1.21
Unprecedented, proactive support for all the scanners on the market
What is not to like?
A really industrial strength scanner software package that a first time user has no problem understanding how to use it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: