CNET Editors' review
Voice for Mac works fairly well at translating text into audio, but the available voice options all sound very computerized. The application is available for free and installs easily.
The main menu seems sparse with few details that would be expected of an advanced application. Fortunately, the main functions are clearly labeled. A box allows text to be manually typed or pasted in from other applications. An export button allows the output to be saved for later use, and a Preferences menu allows selection of a number of playback voices and speed of the reading. After typing in the text, a Play button begins the reading back process. Unfortunately, the voices all sound very digitized and lack any natural sound. The different voice preferences are distinguished by age and gender, but didn't always match what was anticipated during our tests. Overall, Voice for Mac feels one-note but it does function as a text-to-speech tool.
Despite being functional as a voice playback program, Voice for Mac fails to reveal much that would make it a useful addition to most Mac systems. However, users who quickly need to convert texts to audio files may like the simplicity this app brings to the table.
Convert texts to audio files easily... Write your text, click export. You'll obtain an audio file of your writing. Write and let your computer read for you...
- Your text can be read in realtime.
- Export of text to sound file.
- Export of text.
- Choice of the voice.
- Choice of the voice's rate.
What's new in this version:
- Addition of text import.
- Addition of a graphical status bar.
- Support of the Retina display.
- Support of the fullscreen mode.
- Support of the notifications center.
- Support of 10.6.8.
- Correction of preferences.
- Correction of translations.
- Code optimization.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Control your television through your Mac.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Make your Mac speak aloud whatever you type into it.
- Record voice, convert, and play audio files.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Get a speech voice dictation software.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Use this audio utility to compress your sound files with little...
- Watch and record Web sites as they are viewed in a browser.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Powerful, easy-to-use screencasting software.
- Data recovery software.
- Store and access your health records, retrieve the latest healt...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Notebook to organize musical ideas.
- Plan and manage your vegetable garden garden.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content