CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page. You may follow the directions on the page to get the application on your device.
CNET Editors' review
In a wise move to keep Android devices ahead of the curve in terms of features, Google has released Voice Actions. The free app, which requires Android 2.2 (Froyo) and higher, is pretty simple: it let's you speak several handy commands that access various features on your phone. Simply stating a word automatically launches a Web search, or you can use specific statements to send e-mails and text messages, listen to music, pull up maps, get directions, or make a note to yourself.
We put Voice Actions to the test on a Motorola Droid running Froyo and found that the app can be quite useful--about half the time. There were actually a fair amount of commands that it just couldn't get, such as "send e-mail to Antuan Goodwin, hello how are you" and "directions to Papalote." Now, we understand the second one isn't precisely English as it's a Mexican restaurant, but considering Google's own example of Pizzeria Venti, we were still a bit surprised. We tried those two several times without success.
However, we were able to get somewhere with "map of San Francisco" and "directions to Nopa" (yes, we like restaurants). We were also pleased with the music functionality since it let us choose which app we wanted to listen with. In any event, you can expect to get some mixed results from Voice Actions, though it is quite easy to use. Plus, it's free, which means it's certainly worth a download regardless. Just remember to e-nun-ci-ate.
With Voice Actions for Android send text messages, get directions, call contacts, view a map, write a note, listen to music, call businesses, send email, go to websites, and search Google.
What's new in this version: Version 2.1.4 includes bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Read Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files on Android devices.
- Create, view, and edit .DOC, .DOCX, .XLS, .XLSX, PDF and .TXT o...
- Create, view, edit, and share documents on android phone or tab...
- View PDFs on your Android smartphone as you would on your deskt...
- Carda The Widget.
- What is AVTECH EagleEyes-lite ?AVTECH EagleEyes-lite is a free ...
- Paytm brings you an awesome recharge experience on the move. No...
- SuperCam is a professional mobile phone client software for dig...
- Access documents from virtually anywhere.
- View, edit, and remotely access Microsoft Office documents, inc...
- MOffice is a full-suite productivity app on Android device. mOf...
- Look up prices and product reviews by scanning barcodes.
- German male voice for SVOX Classic Text-to-Speech Engine.
- Female Portuguese voice for SVOX Classic Text-to-Speech Engine.
- We are very excited to bring you IBM Sametime for Android! This...
- Runners' app to track goal and progress from anywhere and at an...
- Hungarian Female voice for SVOX Classic Text To Speech Engine.
- It's "Siri" for "us" Android users!.
- Record your phone calls automatically or manually.
- Manage apps and tasks on your Android phone.
- Laugh at drunk people's horrible decisions on your Android devi...
- Benny US English voice for SVOX Classic Text To Speech Engine.
- DarkLord US English voice for SVOX Classic Text To Speech Engin...
- You need to have a Lync account already to use this app. Also, ...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content