CNET Editors' review
Most timers have at least one thing in common: they display numbers as they count down. VisiTimer, however, does things a little differently. Instead of showing numbers, VisiTimer gradually reveals an image with a sweeping radial motion similar to the movement of the arm of a clock. It's a great choice both for kids and for adults who do better with visual representations than with numbers.
The program's interface is plain and easy to navigate. You can choose either an image to use with VisiTimer or a plain circle in the color of your choice. The program comes with a variety of high-quality images, including some that will appeal to kids (cute cartoon animals) and others for adults (such as nature scenes and cars). We were impressed with the number of audio alerts that the program comes with; there are traditional alarm sounds as well as animals, horns, chimes, nature sounds, and more. Once you've configured the timer's appearance and sounds, simply enter the number of hours, minutes, and/or seconds that you want counted down. Clicking on the timer's image will hide or show the numbers, which will count down once the timer starts. A built-in Help file provides an overview of how VisiTimer works, but it's easy to figure out without assistance. We think that VisiTimer would be a great idea for kids who need to time how long they brush their teeth, stay in time-out, practice the piano, or anything else, especially if they don't have a firm grasp on how time works yet. The program is also a fun and flexible choice for adults who'd rather look at a pie chart representation of the time elapsed than a set of numbers ticking away. We think that VisiTimer is an interesting and useful alternative to traditional timers, and we recommend it.
VisiTimer installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Butternut Software:
Fun, unique, countdown timer that visually displays how much time has passed using any of several cool, built-in graphical images that are filled-in progressively in a radial sweep pattern in sync with the time as it counts down. This is great for teachers or parents of small children who can't yet comprehend the concept of digits counting down or those who might want a quick, visual indication of how much time is left without wasting valuable mental resources processing numbers. You can also use your own image or a simple, custom-colored or gradient circle. Many sounds to choose from as an alarm or use any WAV file on your computer. You can save preset times for quick and easy re-entry in the future should you need to set the timer for the same amount of time often. Also, several instances of the timer can be ran at once, and labeled to indicate what each one is being used to time.
More Products to Consider
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Get a countdown timer, countup timer, stop watch, reminder and ...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set timers, reminders, and alarms right on your desktop.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Measure time in seconds from 3 seconds to 49 days and get a 'ti...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Add a resizable alarm clock to your desktop with count down, st...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Set up unlimited number of timers for your daily tasks.
- Place analog stopwatch and countdown timer and clock to your sy...
- Set up lightweight countdown timer and clock.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Measure your time via fullscreen timer and stopwatch software.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Enhance your desktop with clock which has multiple alarm settin...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Get stylish countdowns, alarms, timers, and stopwatches in one ...
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Works ok but has some bugs"
Version: VisiTimer 1.0
Visual display of time left can use either an image or a solid or gradient circle. Some images are included -- photographs for adults, cartoon creatures for kids. Circle can be solid color of choice or radial gradient of 2 colors. Good for seeing time remaining. Lots of sounds for end of time alert - many are for kids. Unlimited timers can be Preset. More than one timer can be running at same time.
Label - cannot reset timer with label. Must choose Preset timer and Label to display what you're timing and reset time. Seems like you ought to be able to choose the name of your timer to reset the clock.
No "Alarm Stop button" on toolbar as stated in help. Sound and flashing background keep going after timer hits zero until spacebar is pressed; Stop Timer button does not work after timer has finished. Spacebar won't stop it unless Visitimer is the current window.
Playing the Whistle sound in Options menu causes a Visual Basic error dialogue box to popup. Different error occurs when set for end of time alarm.
No clock markings to see how much time has elapsed so far, only digital time remaining display.
Simple and easy to use, but there could be a few enhancements. Needs analog clock markings first and foremost to see time elapsed, maybe as an option to turn off and on. For kids learning time, this is important. Alarm and flashing background won't stop if Stop Timer button is clicked after end of timer - spacebar must be used at that point. Some sounds cause program errors. Should be able to choose a preset that displays it's label automatically. This may help me regulate my time adequately, we'll just have to wait and see.
"Operational image is too big onscreen, also see Cons.."
Version: VisiTimer 1.0
It works...does the job.
Too big onscreen, spends too many resources, which slow down processing...The graphics are juvenile.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content