CNET Editors' review
Though advertised as a virtual flash drive, this is another in a long line of encrypted hard-drive folder managers. Virtual Flash Drive's main interface is secondary to the application's drive creation window. That's where the action occurs.
Operating the app caused a bit of confusion for some testers. Some complained that after install, the app wouldn't load. Clicking the Start menu icon merely loaded a browser window. Others found that the app loaded correctly the first time, but crashed with an error on the second run. Most problems were solved by following the program's instructions to reboot after installation.
When Virtual Flash Drive works, the key was filling out simple text boxes and pull-downs on the install dialog. Users can easily set a volume size, location, password, and password reminder. The app quickly installs and formats the encrypted folder. When the program is logged on through the tray icon, users treat the encrypted folder as any other drive. Log off and the folder is unreadable.
Changing folder size, password, and location is easily accomplished through unlabeled function buttons on Virtual Flash Drive's plain log-on interface. Though the app sports a short 15-day demo, most experienced users will be able to quickly determine if this encrypted folder app fills their needs. Novice users might be put off by the errors, and should opt for a more intuitive encryption program.
If the content of your hard drives is not limited to family photos and favorite MP3 tracks and you have information that you'd rather not make public, you have several options to choose from. The easiest method would be to hide your data folders in the depths of your system hoping that intruders would not be smart enough to look in non-standard locations. However, this is a bit naÃ¯ve and you shouldn't rely on this method if you want real protection. Apparently, you can copy all your confidential data on a separate flash drive and keep it with you at all times. However, a Flash drive can be lost or stolen, let alone frequent data corruptions that do occur to portable media. You can also try archiving your documents and protecting the archive with a password, but password can be relatively easily picked using brute force and other methods. So it all boils down to a separate location encrypted with strong algorithms. If that's what you really want, Virtual Flash Drive is exactly what you need.
Virtual Flash Drive is a security tool that creates a reliably protected and virtually impenetrable data container on your hard drive. Once the container is created, you can quickly and easily open it using your password. The whole process resembles plugging a Flash drive into one of your USB port, hence the name of the program. The data inside the contained is encrypted using strong DES algorithms, which makes any attempts to break it using conventional methods plain unreasonable. The software works under the majority of modern Windows versions, including Vista, features three levels of encryption strength, has no restrictions in terms of virtual hard drive's capacity and supports simultaneous mounting of 4 virtual drives.
If you are seeking an affordable, reliable and completely impenetrable encryption program for your most valuable data, Virtual Flash Drive is your number one choice!
What's new in this version:
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Avoid getting deletion error messages.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Create virtual CD/DVD-ROMs and burn backup copies of your favor...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Convert 3GP files into MP4 and AVI video formats.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Access various information's about your computer.
- Schedule various PC actions like shutdown, sleep, wake up, or p...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Edit several programming languages running under the MS windows...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Recover lost passwords you used in MS Internet Explorer.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1