CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page in the online Android Market. The application can directly be downloaded and installed on the registered Android device from your PC, or you can download it from the Android Market on your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
Vignette is a versatile camera replacement app that's equipped with nine different shooting modes, and a huge menu of effects and frame styles to modify your photos. Because it offers options both before and after snapping, Vignette gives you a virtually unlimited number of photographic possibilities.
Before shooting, Vignette lets you choose from nine different shooting modes: Normal, Blind, Fast shot, Steady shot, Self timer, Time lapse, Strip, Grid, and Double. The Strip and Grid modes are especially fun, as they mimic the 4-in-1 prints of novelty Photobooths. And Time lapse is a unique interval shooting mode that, frankly, we haven't seen on any other apps. You can also tinker with settings like White balance, Exposure, Brightness, and Metering before going off and shooting.
Once you've snapped your pic (or imported it from your Gallery), Vignette then gives you access to its long menu of effects and frames. Just find the right combination, and you're all set. You can save a copy of the edited photo to your Gallery. If you find an Effect and Frame combination that you particularly like, you can save it to your Favourites or make a Shortcut for it on your Home screen for easy access later. We liked the combination of Toy Camera and Square Frame because of their retro flair.
While Vignette did offer tons of features to stylize our photos, we also felt it had a lot of room to improve its workflow. At times, it was annoying to constantly shuffle between the Composition screen, the Options view, the Effects menu, Hardware Settings screen, and so on. We would've loved a live-preview screen that simply let us toggle effects on and off while we watched how they affected our photos.
Overall, we think Vignette is a worthwhile download for those interested in a more feature-rich camera app. If you're looking for a quick shooter that you can fire up on the fly, this probably isn't it. The full version is available for $3.99 in the Android Market. Meanwhile, the demo version is free, but it comes with some pretty tight resolution restrictions.
From Neil and Theresa:
Random can be extremely fun to use, but it could prevent the perfect picture as well. For those who like the adventure of random but who like to play with effects yourself, we suggest saving the original. To do this, turn on the option to Save originals in the application settings screen. This will save the unedited picture in the default camera folder, as well as the photo with effect or frame in the folder you have chosen. If you turn on Take picture when screen is touched in Vignette's application settings screen, you may notice that touching the screen activates the auto focus and then takes the picture. To have a little more timing control, we recommend touching and holding the screen to activate the focus. Once ready, release to snap the picture. This helps a lot when the subject is moving in a predictable manner.
What's new in this version: Version 2011.10.26.1 has fixed effects on other Samsung Galaxy S II models.
More Products to Consider
- Change your photos into works of art.
- Wrap frames and scenery around your photos, or add whimsical ef...
- Add film and camera effects to your photos.
- Photogrid is the best way to create gorgeous photo collage.If y...
- Awesome PicsArt Studio!.
- More than 600 effects, overlays, and borders to personalize any...
- The best camera application for portraits, 'Cymera'.
- Add film and retouch effects to your photos.
- Edit your photos with effects, stickers, and texts on your Andr...
- PhotoFunia is a photo editing tool that gives you a fun filled ...
- Correct and enhance photos form all possible angles.
- Edit and share photos virtually anywhere. Access them all on Ph...
- Photoshop express, Image editor, photofunia, sketch, reflection...
- Create a 3D panorama by utilizing the camera and the orientatio...
- Enhance your photos and quickly share them with your friends.
- Snap pictures and apply effects with this fun app.
- Enhance, transform, and share your photos easily.
- Create cool photo montages and apply fun photo frames & effects...
- Instantly supersize faces on your Android device.
- Troll your friends! Create rage faced photos and share created ...
- Fly through 8 levels and defeat waves of enemies.
- Share your pictures on Facebook automatically.
- Display your photos on your homescreen as a wallpaper.
- PicStory - Tell your story!.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content