CNET Editors' note: This game has a free trial. You get 8 in-game hours before you will need to subscribe at $9.95/month. You will not need to enter a credit card for this trial.
CNET Editors' review
Vendetta Online for Mac offers a uniquely designed and well implemented MMORPG, and seems like a can't-miss proposition for the avid gamer. If you're new to this type of game, the basics are surprisingly easy to learn, thanks to its introductory "training mission." The download and setup may take a bit longer but are well worth the wait.
The game's download is 250MB large, so expect to wait a while to play if your connection is slow. Once the download completes and the game is launched, another 31MB of updates need to be downloaded, and you'll be on your way. A game character guides the user through the initial setup, where they are able to create a character, select a ship, and align with the nation of their choice. The game is played from the point of view of a space pilot in a ship, and the training mission helps the user get comfortable with the displays, radar, and controls. Within minutes, you'll launch from a space station, fly around exploring, blow up some drone ships, and dock back at the station. From there you are free to fly around the universe and, more importantly, read the manual. As with any fantasy role-playing game, the universe in Vendetta Online for Mac is immersive and vast, and it may take some time to get your bearings. The free trial gives you eight hours of playtime to test it out, which seems like just enough to get you hooked and ready to pay the monthly fee.
Vendetta Online for Mac's multiplayer universe is dazzling to look at and the gameplay is straightforward and engaging. If you're an avid gamer or a fan of EVE Online, then you'll probably like this game.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Vendetta Online for Mac 1.8.254.
From Guild Software:
Vendetta Online is a massive multiplayer game that permits thousands of players to interact as the pilots of spaceships in a vast universe. Users may build their characters in any direction they desire, becoming rich captains of industry, military heros, or outlaws. A fast-paced, realtime "twitch" style combat model gives intense action, coupled with the backdrop of RPG gameplay in a massive online galaxy. Three major player factions form a delicate balance of power, with several NPC sub-factions creating situations of economic struggle, political intrigue and conflict. The completely persistent universe and detailed storyline add to the depth of immersion, resulting in a unique online experience.
What's new in this version:
- Conquerable station sectors Bractus M-14, Latos I-8, and Pelatus C-12 are now running experimental code to test a solution to weapon hits sometimes not registering. Please test these sectors and report any problems through support tickets.
- The virtual mouse (when used through a gamepad controller) on mobile devices now highlights the virtual keyboard button that was selected so multiple presses of 'A' on the gamepad will repeat the same action again.
More Products to Consider
- Sims 2 game update.
- Play a one-act interactive drama.
- Use peashooters, wall-nuts, cherry bombs and more to mulchify z...
- Realtime strategy game.
- Play solitaire with 3D effects.
- Real-time strategy game.
- Save the human race from invading aliens in this fun arcade-typ...
- Fly various missions or fly against your friends over the Inter...
- Borderlands 2 saved game editor.
- Version 1.1 Update for Spider Man 2 Third-person action adventu...
- The Hardest Action Game You Will Play This Year (no, seriously)...
- Adventure game to explore worlds and build structures.
- Solitaire card games with handcrafted artwork.
- Create and play realistic jigsaw puzzles on your Mac with your ...
- Popular house life simulation game.
- Action game (FPS) with innovative gameplay.
- Atari 2600 emulator.
- Build and operate your own zoo.
- Help Captain Bumper free a princess held prisoner on a mysterio...
- The Locas really do put the fun back in funeral in Grave Mania:...
- Update for their Escape Velocity action adventure space arcade ...
- 1.0.4 Update for Command and Conquer Generals and the Zero Hour...
- Mahjongg summer fun – 60 levels, mini games and hidden pictures...
- Rebuild Flo's Diner in this popular time management series.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"A great game that draws you in and puts you at the helm"
Version: Vendetta Online 1.8.177
Realtime twitch combat
Massive battles between opposing nations
Dynamic expanding AI Hive robots
Variety of gameplay avenues including mining, trading, crafting, and exploration
None, really, if you can afford it this game is awesome
I've played this game since 2003 and haven't regretted it since. It is truly one of a kind and has its own special way of making you feel like you are part of a large galaxy where things are happening all the time. It takes a while to get in to, definitely give it at least the 8 hour free trial and bear in mind that this is only the tip of the iceberg. PvP Combat is easy to get in to but takes a lifetime to master, requiring hot reflexes and expansive 3D spatial awareness. The first person perspective and twitch controls put *you* at the helm of a futuristic spaceship. Levels of immersion are plentiful with an entirely unique writing system (the language of Galactic Trade Standard) a massive backstory and roleplay forums. Player competitions include weekly nation wars, duel ladders, race track monthly winners, and personal Vendettas. After you've played 25 hours you have the option of joining the PCC, a group of players dedicated to improving the game by adding content. I have submitted 64 missions which have been added to the game so far involving various storylines, so come play and experience what myself and others have created as the game world continues to grow and evolve!
Recent major changes include the Android version of the game and the addition of craftable player-owned capital ships. The crafting tree to create a Cap Ship takes months, literally, and we're all still racing each other to be the first.
"Excellent game, good depth"
Version: Vendetta Online 1.8.106
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
I've played the game for 6 mos. and definitely feel it's an excellent game. This is especially so because it the product of only 4 developers. The game is a live action space game where you actually fly your ships manually. You can engage in trading of goods from station to station, Mining of ore from asteroids, personal combat, war battles with capital ship into which you can dock for repairs and rearming, combat with robot ships, etc. The game visuals are terrific, very detailed live action 3D. I've never seen a better game. Also there are updates almost every week as listed here. Well worth the very reasonable cost for such a large involved reality simulation. Oh yes, there's a really terrific bunch of people playing this game, too!
Version: Vendetta Online 1.8.22
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: