CNET Editors' review
The Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) protocol is an improvement over the earlier "plug-and-pray" standard, which is a different technology. Devices that use UPnP announce their presence when they're attached to a network, which makes them easier to install and integrate, especially in a large environment. UPnP is a work in progress, however, and there are unresolved issues, particularly with authentication. Noel Danjou's Universal Plug and Play Tester is a free utility that lists all UPnP-compatible network devices, including Internet Gateway Devices.
This utility downloads as a small compressed file, even though it includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The program is accessible immediately after extraction, without requiring a formal installation process. This makes it completely portable, so you can install it on a USB drive and use it on any PC. It's automatic, listing all UPnP-compatible devices on our test machine as soon as we opened it. The interface resembles a properties dialog, displaying a tree view of devices above a status report pane. We like the utter simplicity of its four controls: one for selecting which of 14 device types to monitor, another to disable Universal Plug and Play Tester, a Save button for saving test results as text files, and an About button that includes a link to the program's online forum for further help.
Universal Plug and Play Tester is freeware. Version 2.9 build 71.1 adds improved UAC support for recent Windows editions, including Windows 7. It's an extremely compact and totally portable yet capable application that can help make device configuration easier, and we wholeheartedly recommend it.
From Noel Danjou:
UPnP Tester is an experimental tool that lists all the available devices compatible with the Universal Plug-and-Play protocol including Internet Gateway Devices (IGDs). As soon as the program starts, it searches for available devices then it updates the list as devices are plugged or unplugged. The status window displays miscellaneous notifications and the IP addresses as they are assigned.
What's new in this version: Version 2.11 improved system detection and fixed bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Remote control computers via the Internet, take part in online ...
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Surf anonymously at full broadband speed.
- Find and scan all computers on your network and get easy access...
- Setup a WiFi hotspot or wireless router on your Windows compute...
- Access blocked web sites via anonymous proxy.
- Get notified when your servers and PCs stop working.
- Forward data between serial ports and establish communication.
- Perform scans on predefined port ranges.
- Get detailed info about which handles and DLL processes are ope...
- Monitor and display information associated with each running pr...
- Download and update all your Windows drivers, back them up, and...
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Monitor, report, and alert on the availability and performance ...
- Upload and download files to your FTP resource.
- Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot.
- Query and control remote servers or other connected network dev...
- Recover files deleted from your Windows computer.
- Create a live object-oriented graphical view of networked offic...
- Count the total bytes received, sent, and bytes sent+received t...
- Read e-mail and news the way you want it, with intelligent junk...
- Extend LAN-like networks securely to distributed teams, mobile ...
- Copy, move, sync files from the devices connected to your compu...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"It lists the UPnP devices but not much else"
Version: Universal Plug-and-Play Tester 2.9 build 71.1
It worked quite easily and it identified most UPnP devices rapidly.
It did not allow much more interaction. It simply lists what's available.
A nice diagnostic tool
"Easy to use & works"
Version: Universal Plug-and-Play Tester 2.05 build 32.4
Very easy to use
none at all