CNET Editors' review
Autotyping and autocorrecting applications can be a huge time-saver, sparing you from having to retype frequently used words and phrases (and even paragraphs and pictures), and they can instantly clean up your most common typos. Plus, if they work system-wide like Typinator does, they can provide you with functionality that might otherwise be limited to your word processor.
Typinator is a best-in-class example of this kind of app, with an easy-to-manage interface, above-average stability, exceptional speed (keeping up with even extremely fast typists using large abbreviation sets, even those whose keystrokes can overlap), and the ability to handle multiple languages (with autocorrection for English, French, and German). You can also search through your "snippets" with a Spotlight-style QuickSearch, which makes large snippet files more feasible. Typinator supports iDisk and Dropbox syncing, and recent updates have improved support for other apps, including Kindle for Mac, Outlook 2011, iTunes 10, and even Gmail in Firefox. Built-in HTML snippets, autocorrection sets, and frequent upgrades make Typinator an even more attractive option.
From Ergonis software:
Typinator boosts your productivity and eliminates errors by automating the process of inserting frequently used text and graphics and and auto-correcting typos and misspelled words. Configuration is easy - You just define abbreviations and their replacement text or picture. Usage is even easier - Whenever you type one of these abbreviations in an arbitrary application, Typinator inserts the corresponding replacement. Drag-and-drop import from Textpander, TextExpander, and TypeIt4Me makes migration to Typinator a no-brainer. Save your time and annoyance and let Typinator type repeating texts and pictures for you. You can use Typinator to quickly type greeting phrases, set up a list of standard text fragments to be used in e-mail replies, insert the current date and/or time in arbitrary formats with a few keystrokes, auto-correct your most frequent typos in all applications system-wide, predefined sets for auto-correction, HTML, Filemaker functions, import snippets from other typing utilities, including Textpander, TextExpander, and TypeIt4Me, insert pictures, such as smilies or bullets, insert Unicode symbols by typing a few special regular characters (e.g., type -> to insert an arrow symbol), define shorthands for frequently used Unix commands, quickly create templates for code fragments.
What's new in this version:
- New hotkey shows suggested abbreviations for typed text.
- When a new version of Typinator is available, a more informative message now also mentions the release date and the currently installed version.
- New button locking strategy in the Registration window avoids misunderstandings with correctly registered licenses.
- Improved high-resolution warning icon in the "Accessibility assistant" button.
- Typinator now shows a clearer message at the bottom o... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook suite of applications.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- View & print PDF files.
- Open-source office productivity suite with Microsoft Office com...
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- Productivity suite: Pages, Keynote, Numbers.
- Convert PDFs into the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats gener...
- Word processor & page layout app.
- Always keep your invoices and estimates at a glance.
- Print shipping labels with USPS postage for all of your online ...
- Viewer for NFO, ASC, DIZ files.
- Display any folder as a shelf on your desktop.
- Convert your wealth between 174 world currencies.
- Fast, easy way to remove objects and enhance your photos.
- Use six feature-rich apps for document production and data proc...
- Bridge between OpenOffice/NeoOffice spreadsheets and Java class...
- Find, remember, and learn menu shortcuts.
- Messaging & collaboration client.
- Mikogo is a free desktop sharing tool for web conferencing with...
- Go Writer is a clever word processor to help you accomplish you...
- PowerPoint-compatible presentation tool.
- Improve system-wide audio quality.
- Upcoming birthday and anniversary reminder.
- Split, combine and reorder PDF files.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 34 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"The best productivity booster I found so far"
Version: Typinator 5.8
- easy to use
- works with ease in ALL software
- regularly updated for free
- new features at no cost, e.g. search bar for all expansions sets
- none to my knowledge
Typinator is simply the best enhancement for my workflow I have found in years. Typinator gets updated regularly for free, with great new features are being added, e.g. recently a search bar for all extension sets. Highly recommended.