Thumbs.db Viewer was written to give the computer user tools to reconstruct Thumbs.db, ehthumbs.db, thumbcache_*.db (Windows Vista,Windows 7) and iconcache_*.db (Windows 8) database records. Thumbs.db is a hidden system file generated automatically by Windows when you view the contents of a folder in "Thumbnail" or "Filmstrip" view. Thumbs.db contains a copy of each of the tiny preview images generated for image files in that folder so that they load up quickly the next time you browse that folder. Thumbs.db is actually a database of the miniature images that exist in the folder from which they were initiated. The early versions of Thumbs.db files as they appeared in Windows ME/W2k contained not only the thumbnail image of the parent file, but also the filename, drive letter, and path to that image. Later versions, Windows XP, store the image and its filename but not the path. In Windows Vista/7/8 the Thumbs.db file has been replaced by several "thumbcache_*.db" files which are now located within the user`s profile. Deleting the Thumbs.db file in Windows has no affect on your operating system: the Thumbs.db file is recreated in each folder each time you view thumbnails. Even though the images have been deleted in the folder they could still exist in the Thumbs.db file along with their modification dates. Thumbs.db Viewer allows displaying Thumbs.db (thumbcache_*.db,iconcache_*.db) database records as well as the miniature graphics generated in each (with metadata: original file name and timestamp); collects all the thumbcache files in and below the specified folder; searches the Recycle Bin for deleted thumbcache files; extracts and views all or selected pictures as HTML representations; view with external image viewer any of the original file corresponding to stored in an Thumbs.db thumbnail's metadata (if it exists); view the image in full size or as the best fit for program's window; rotate images; the program can search swap and hibernation files for a JPG.
What's new in this version: Version 3.1 adds full support for Windows 8 thumbcache and iconcache files (thumbcache_idx.db, thumbcache_16.db, thumbcache_32.db, thumbcache_48.db, thumbcache_96.db, thumbcache_256.db, thumbcache_1024.db, thumbcache_sr.db, thumbcache_wide.db, thumbcache_exif.db, iconcache_idx.db, iconcache_16.db, iconcache_32.db, iconcache_48.db, iconcache_96.db, iconcache_256.db, iconcache_1024.db, iconcache_sr.db, iconcache_wide.db, iconcache_exif.db)
More Products to Consider
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Use forensic analyzer of thumbcaches and thumbs.db and generate...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Provide data recovery tool, hex, disk, and RAM editor.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Encrypt your sensitive data with this open-source software.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Recover deleted or lost files.
- Search for and extract ZIP, CAB, RAR, ACE, InstallShield CAB, J...
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Capture, illustrate and share your viewing experience.e.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Installer/Uninstaller for Win32.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Excellent program to find out computer user activities"
Version: Thumbs.db Viewer 2.2
Excellent program to find out what your kids watch when you're not at home.
The program allows to know if your personnel is using work computer for personal interests.
The program allows your boss to know what you do at work.
Good for business and personal use.
"Very useful program to restore lost photo files"
Version: Thumbs.db Viewer 2.2
Very useful program to restore lost photo files especially under Windows Vista. Easy to install, simple to use, no problems at all.
so far so good, no cons
I liked the way you can find, browse, sort all the files, select by size and resolution. Saved me a lot of time when searching for lost files for one of my client's project.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: