CNET Editors' review
The Talking Moose is a desktop utility that features a funny animated cartoon-like moose that will pop up when least expected and deliver a funny line, a witty quote, or insult the user. There are versions of The Talking Moose for the Mac and mobile devices as well as Windows, and the moose even has his own Facebook page and Twitter accounts.
The Talking Moose has been around in electronic form since 1986 and was one of the first animated figures on computers. Once installed the user will see the interface with links to the official Talking Moose Website and links to the website of the creator. Once the application is started, The Talking Moose can pop-up at any time with any one of over 1600 different insults or jokes that will play over the speakers of the PC, laptop, or Mac. You can modify the moose's comments and limit how frequently it pops up, but you can't control exactly when the character pops up. The Talking Moose senses when the user does certain tasks like opening the Control Panel and will make an audible note of it. The audio quality of The Talking Moose is better on Mac machines than Windows, but there are plenty of websites where the user can download more pleasing voices.
The Talking Moose downloads and boots up quickly on most machines though some users may experience problems getting the utility to launch if their ActiveX Objects are not up to date. If you like the unexpected or just need something to break up the daily dullness, The Talking Moose is a fun app that requires you to do nothing more than install and enjoy.
From The Talking Moose:
The Talking Moose is a fun desktop enhancement that is actually an animated Moose character which will pop up on your screen and either tells jokes, says witty quotes, compliments you, or simply insults you. Watch your friends reactions when your computer talks out of the blue saying things like The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets. The Moose uses text to speech technology that allows you to program him to say anything you want.
Right click on The Moose icon in the system tray and select Moose Phrases. You can then select the following categories: Greetings, Random Phrases, and Goodbyes. It also includes a game in which he interacts with called The Bird Race. Version 5 has weather functionality added, speak windows functionality added, Moose text Web browser functionality added to Say It, and other improvements.
What's new in this version: Version 5 has weather functionality added, speak windows functionality added, Moose text Web browser functionality added to Say It, and other improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Run Windows 8 Modern applications in resizable windows on your ...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- View amazing images of Yellowstone National Park on your PC scr...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- View contemporary character art on your desktop.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Deliver your presentation using a MS Agent character.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Deliver your presentation using a MS Agent character and VBA.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Change your PC basket with an animated basket.
- Find out your communication sign on the base of Mercury placeme...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Find out your mothering sign on the base of Ceres placement in ...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- View eagles and wild animals on your desktop screensavers.
- Personalize your Windows 8 start and lock screens with your own...
- Feel the spirit of the United States Independence Day on your d...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Watch TV channels and listen to radio stations on your PC.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
All versions:1.8 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Couldnt get it to work on XP"
Version: The Talking Moose XP 5
Cant think of any
Downloaded it once..didnt work. Tried again a few days later, kept asking me if I wanted to overwrite the previous file which had been removed..I thought..??
Tying to download it was a nice waste of a few minutes. My girlfriend said it was just as well...One talking moose in the house was enough.
"doesn't work on vista"
Version: The Talking Moose XP 5
cant use it
doesnt work on vista
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content