CNET Editors' review
Farkle is an old dice game in which two or more players each roll five or six dice, with various scoring methods determining the winner. Tam11's Farkle is a free software version of the venerable game, which also goes by many other names. You can play Farkle alone or online via the developer's free Lobby application. Since you don't need the Lobby to play Farkle, we opted just to install the game.
The Farkle interface is a simple, colorful affair displaying virtual dice, a scoreboard for up to six players, scoring rules, and a chat screen that also displays game instructions. There are few options, and most are related to the dice sound, fonts, and background colors; you can also choose between classic and large dice sets. Phrase presets let you configure and quickly enter a variety of commonly used comments in the chat mode. We chose to roll against Klot, Tam11's versatile virtual opponent. Farkle is simple: roll all the dice, select those you want for scoring, and roll again to add to your score. When you stop your turn, you can add your score, but if you "farkle," or roll and come up empty, you lose everything you gained in that turn. Ones, fives, and various combinations like three of a kind and straights score points; the first player to score 10,000 points wins. That sounds like a lot of points, but the game is actually fast and exciting. We quickly learned that finishing your turn with some points was better than not scoring at all and that three rolls was really pushing it, though a big score (like 1,500 points) made gambling on another throw worthwhile. We actually liked the six-dice game better than the five-dice game. There's also a Zarkle game that ups the stakes in multiplayer games by rewarding large blocks of points to players who win multiple rolls, and there's Team Game option as well. Pop-ups let us manage our phrase list and view Roll Statistics as well as access the Spy List for online play. You can even select a Just Watch option to follow others' play, if you choose to play online.
Tam11's Farkle is quick to learn, easy to play, and loads of fun. These are all problems because we can see Farkle becoming a major time-waster. Like the best games, though, it offers enough strategizing and plain old basic arithmetic to keep players sharp as well as entertained.
From Tams11 Software:
Exciting and fast dice game where you take risks trying to get a high score. Now with 6 dice game option. On your turn, you can roll the dice as long as you roll scoring dice. But better end your turn before you don't roll any scoring dice or you will lose the points that turn. Needs the Tams11 Lobby in order to play with others. http://www.tams11.com
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 adds chatter sounds and smilies.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Play multiplayer dice game on your PC.
- Play online version of the popular board game Patchisi.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Play 588 solitaire games with more than 80 card sets, 300 card ...
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Play eight different puzzle solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Solve new jigsaw puzzles every day.
- See if you can become a Grand Master.
- Play 450 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Learn English playing a traditional, fun, and addictive game.
All versions:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Very disappointing compared to other versions."
Version: Tams11 Farkle 188.8.131.52
Speed of loading was the only plus for this product
In todays market ,the graphics were lacking to the point I wished to stop playing ater the 1st round . The term boring and disappointing were the first words that came to mind.Sorry but this is a thumbs dow in my opinion.
First impressions, 9 times out of ten, tell you if you are going to like as well as enjoy the game. It was so sterile I wished I did not down load it and immediately did so.
Version: Tams11 Farkle 184.108.40.206
This is a great game, even solo against the bot. BUT, there are two scoring errors that would keep me from playing anybody on the net.