CNET Editors' reviewWe applaud the idea behind this text-to-speech lexicon for the visually impaired. We just wish it were a bit more polished. Talking Dictionary combines the free Wordnet thesaurus with the free Microsoft speech engine. Unfortunately, the Microsoft speech engine stumbles over difficult words, and even at its best can be hard to understand. The interface is admirably simple, though. You type a word to call up its definition, and then use function keys to navigate within the entry. Unfortunately, the program settings can t be accessed this way. Moreover, Talking Dictionary doesn't even display the help file, let alone read it out loud. We also thought the trial version's five-letter limit on entries was too restrictive. And $28.88 is pretty steep for such a modest program, especially one built out of free parts. Talking Dictionary works adequately, but it's not an ideal companion for the visually impaired.
From RWF Talking Software:
Talking Dictionary is a speech enabled 250,000 word English dictionary and thesaurus. Like all the talking software products on this site, Talking Dictionary has been designed for use by the non sighted person. All of the controls are easily remembered keyboard shortcuts and it is a very fast and easy program to use. Talking Dictionary is designed to be used as a stand alone program. What this means is that you do not need any kind of screen reading software or anything else to use this program.
What's new in this version: Version 11.0: new speech, reader program reads any textfile, clipboard contents or typed text.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Get English word definition and synonyms in any application you...
- Get definitions, audio pronunciations, synonyms, antonyms & exa...
- Refer to an English dictionary and thesaurus on your computer w...
- Talk to on-screen characters through your microphone to practic...
- Double-click on a word and read its definition in Collins Engli...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read selected Chinese and English words on Web pages, text file...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Learn English and prepare to pass examinations.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a high school student administrative syst...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Produce binaural sounds for reconditioning your mind.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 18 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: