CNET Editors' review
TAGO-Fences helps you tidy up your desktop by grouping icons, folders, and files by type in expandable, customizable windows known as Fences. You can drag and pin Fences anywhere and show or hide them almost instantly. TAGO-Fences automatically adds new stuff to the right folders and hides icons you don't use often. Double-clicking restores and hides your regular desktop, so you don't have to change a thing to use TAGO-Fences. It's a neat idea that works pretty well in action, once you get used to it.
The first step is to create your Fences. It's easy: TAGO-Fences does it for you. Except for their Title Bars, all Fences are essentially identical: semi-transparent, customizable, and easy to resize and pin. You can change their background color, preferences, hot keys, and more by right-clicking the system tray icon and clicking Fences Settings. TAGO-Fences grouped our stuff in Shortcuts, Folders, Documents, and Other, in one view, and Pictures and New Fence in another. A pair of round buttons pinned to the center of our desktop's bottom edge toggled between views. We could rearrange and resize our Fences with a click, too, which is helpful if you lose track. The "Show Desktop" button in Windows dropped our Fences along with everything else. Clicking "Ctrl+Alt+F" hides and shows Fences, while punching "Ctrl+Alt+H" replicates the double-click command to hide and restore your full desktop. Hot keys are customizable, of course.
As with most desktop enhancements, TAGO-Fences takes some getting used to, though it's intuitive enough once you do. We like the ability to minimize Fences to their Title Bars and mouse over to view the contents, and also uncovering the regular desktop quickly. Our idea of a clean desktop typically means no widgets or enhancements, but we could learn to like TAGO-Fences' way of doing things.
TAGO Fences is a simple program to use, mainly by the amount of shortcuts that you own. It gives you the option to organize your desktop, and create icons with several areas of a subject matter / function, facilitating the search for a specific program. Leave icons of frequently used programs on the desktop is something that what most users do, because it makes much more convenient access to the program without the need to open the 'Start' menu or even browse several folders of 'Program Files'. But on some occasions, the amount of icons becomes so large that it can end up messing up because you need to be looking for the program. To solve such problems, use the TAGO Fences. You can create some icons for specific areas, and these areas are fully customizable, leaving your work area cleaner and more pleasant to use. Portable program - This program does not require an installation or need administrative permission to be used, so it is possible to load this program for several sites and organize their field. This is ideal for anyone who does not have administrator permission on the job, because it can keep your desktop organized without the need to install anything. Also this program is not very heavy, with only ~1Mb, making it much easier to load on drives with little space (1 GB for example), without having to delete other files. Hide icons from your desktop - another option that may leave your desktop cleaner is to hide the icons with a shortcut, using 'Ctrl + Alt + S' or double-clicking on your desktop, all the icons from your desktop will be hidden. This function already exists in Windows, but not shortcuts and be somewhat 'hidden' few people know
What's new in this version: Version 2.5: Uninstall from add/remove programs; Enable Title Bar Positioning; Enable/Disable Fence re-size; Enable changing item size; Enable Setting the number of pages; General bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Desktop World Clock with world map. Unlimited number of clocks.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Improve your productivity with desktop customization tools.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Schedule your initiation and finishing applications, documents,...
- Paste quickly pre-defined text in any Windows applications via ...
- Hide desktop icons so you can see more of your desktop backgrou...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Create a touch pad interface for Windows 8.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Messed up my desktop"
Version: Tago Fences 2.5
Initially upon installation, does look like the "now for profit", more famous Fences by Stardock.
- my win8, 64b was slow reacting to this.
- created a second desktop page.
- folders opened on 2nd, 3rd click.
- background disappears for few seconds before folder opens.
It is buggy, to say the least; needs a heck of a lot of improvements. Doesn't help at all upon the installation w/cnet's cbs installer LOADED with crap ware that messed up my other pc...do not accept ANY of them!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content