CNET Editors' review
Compact and versatile free utilities that can help you keep your PC humming along safely and smoothly: Does that sound like Microsoft? Well, it is: Microsoft's Sysinternals offers a range of useful freeware apps for displaying and managing Windows processes and other data. We looked at VMMap, a memory analysis tool. It analyzes the virtual memory types committed to each process, as well as the amount of physical memory allocated by Windows, and displays the data in colorful graphs and tables. It also shows summary data as well as detailed process memory maps.
VMMap's compact, two-panel interface and its companion process selection dialog open simultaneously, allowing us to select a process from a list of all our system's running processes or click Cancel. We chose our antivirus software and clicked OK. VMMap displayed color-coded graphs and tables containing detailed data on type, address, and more. The upper pane listed available data for selected values, with specific details appearing in the bottom pane. VMMap options include setting or pausing the Trace Snapshot Interval, showing free regions, changing the program's font and symbols, and running as an administrator. Clicking Fragment View opened a separate Address Space Fragment map, also color-coded and with a slider that let us expand the view. We could reopen the process selection tool at any time from the File menu; this wizard-like dialog let us view either running processes or all system processes as well as launch and trace new applications directly from VMMap.
VMMap not only displays live processes but also saves and exports data reports in several formats. Admins, coders, and advanced users can enable scripting scenarios from the command prompt, too. While VMMap probably won't do much for beginners, more advanced users will appreciate its ability to analyze their system's memory and display it in graphs and tables that are not only useful but also attractive, with hues recalling the colored chalk still popular with youngsters.
VMMap is a process virtual and physical memory analysis utility. It shows a breakdown of a process's committed virtual memory types as well as the amount of physical memory (working set) assigned by the operating system to those types. Besides graphical representations of memory usage, VMMap also shows summary information and a detailed process memory map. Powerful filtering and refresh capabilities allow you to identify the sources of process memory usage and the memory cost of application features.
Besides flexible views for analyzing live processes, VMMap supports the export of data in multiple forms, including a native format that preserves all the information so that you can load back in. It also includes command-line options that enable scripting scenarios.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Personalize your Windows 8 start and lock screens with your own...
- Monitor your processor temperature via a graph at the bottom of...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Back up files into compressed archive or create disk image for ...
- Analyze file and directory data on your network server.
- Clean your Windows Registry.
- Keep your important data secure and safe.
- Install multiple useful gadgets for Windows 7 in one click.
- Optimize your computer's memory to speed up games and applicati...
- Create, manage, analyze, and check data, simplify the complex p...
- Creates virtual hard disk versions of your physical disks.
- Secure your data on any operation system.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content