CNET Editors' review
For investors, Wall Street is much like the typical toddler is to parents: it bears watching. If you're serious about keeping up with the stock market, sooner or later you'll need a tool that will help you track it. Many such tools involve an expensive service and subscription fees, but StockMarketEye from TransparenTech tracks stock prices via on-demand or streaming quote data, organizes your portfolio into handy Watch Lists, and even estimates stock prices based on potential movements, but for an affordable, one-time purchase price without recurring fees.
StockMarketEye's simple dialog-based interface is one of the clearest, cleanest displays of securities market data we've seen. These tend to be complex affairs full of boxes and buttons that often look more like tax forms than software, but StockMarketEye manages to clean it all up without leaving anything out. Clicking on a stock symbol's data row calls up a price graph that you can set to display from four weeks to 10 years of prices. You can also choose among several graph, cursor, and marker styles as well as select which technical indicators to chart. There's a stock symbol search feature that's most welcome for those investors who don't have the Dow memorized. Its historical price charts can save time when you're researching buys.
This is not only one of the cleanest-looking but also one of the easiest stock trackers we've used. The program offers a sample portfolio, My 401K, which helped us quickly get a feel for how it operates and simplifies setting up StockMarketEye to track the type of investments most common to most users. We created a new Watch List, quickly found a few sample stocks to track, and added them with a few clicks. Selecting any symbol highlighted its current data and called up its price graph. Dragging the cursor along the graph instantly displays the historical data for any particular point. We also like the way you can toggle easily between price and fundamentals views. A left-hand navigation pane made jumping from portfolios to watch lists easy. StockMarketEye even accepts data imported in Quicken's QIF file format. StockMarketEye isn't an analysis tool; it won't pick investments for you, just help you keep track of them. We recommend it.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of StockMarketEye 2.4.2. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
StockMarketEye is the all-in-one tool for tracking and analyzing your investments and the markets, including unlimited portfolios and watchlists, fast charts and built-in alerts. It's easy to use and quick to get started. Track the performance of your retirement account and other investments with portfolios, imported directly from brokerages, investment data files or entered manually. Keep your eye on the market with watchlists. Gain perspective on market movement with dynamic stock charts including technical indicators. See the performance of all of your investments at a glance with the investment tracking overview. Find ticker symbols with the built-in symbol search. Get free quotes, updated automatically or on-demand. View basic fundamental ratios. Access stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, indexes or currency pairs from most major world exchanges. Keep your investing ideas on your desktop, not on the Internet.
What's new in this version: Version 3.1.4 includes support for comparing investments against a benchmark as well as bug fixes and minor enhancements.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Watch stock information scroll across your screen.
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Plan, track, and analyze your investments.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Record your market analysis, monitor open positions, and track ...
- Monitor stock prices in Delayed Data, Real-Time Data, and Level...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Research, track, chart, and trade stock market securities, opti...
- Monitor your stocks and mutual funds.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Manage and track multiple investment portfolios.
- Get real time streaming quotes and charts, with technical analy...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Diagnose your existing stock and mutual fund holdings, allocate...
- Monitor and track the performance of your financial assets port...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Evaluate the probability of mutual funds to outperform a benchm...
- Organize and manage your personal finances.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best portfolio tracker by far. Intuitive and thoughful"
Version: StockMarketEye 3.1.4
- true multiple currency support
- international stock markets support
- intuitive stock transactions recording
- multiple portfolio support
- customizable portfolio columns
- useful portfolio valuation view
- easy to use stock alerts
- online synch with multiple devices
- prompt and thoughtful customer support
- initial portfolio import could be smoother
- cash balance should have multiple currencies breakdown
- iPad support unavailable. I have to blow up the iPhone version.
- not for people who want a full-featured financial management sofware. It does not do bills or taxes but it does portfolio tracking very well.
After using Quicken for Mac for many years I've decided to finally get rid of it and try something new. I went through many software including Investoscope, Ibank, Portfolio Analyst, Money dance and Quicken for Windows. I was never fully satisfied with any of them.
As a non-US investor, the biggest issue was usually the US-centric software. Most had some form of currency feature but few had international stocks support. Some software like Porfolio Analyst was very difficult to use. Quicken had many features but it was buggy and no online support.
I currently have StockMarketEye on my desktop, Laptop and iPad. It's easy to synchronize them online. I wake up in the morning and check stockmarketeye on my ipad even before bloomberg.
I'm writing this glowing review to give credit where it's due. It's a great software and I wish Transparentech all the best. It deserves to do well and I hope the team will continue to improve and refine their product.