CNET Editors' review
StatPlanet Map Maker provides a simple set of tools for creating a detailed map. While the main function was more tedious than we originally hoped, the results were still useful in the right situation.
The program's interface is simple to grasp, and its controls are intuitive. StatPlanet Map Maker's layout reminds us of pop-up maps we've seen on news Web sites. The program also includes an extensive User's Manual, which is helpful for inputting your own data. It gives you full control over your map view, with options such as choosing to view the entire planet or zeroing in on a single country with a single mouse click. The program contains population maps, growth maps, and more. StatPlanet Map Maker's strongest function is the capability to input data into a spreadsheet and upload it to your map. It color-codes every country to reflect your information, depending on what you've selected and the data you enter. This is a helpful feature, but it is a bit tedious to enter data manually. StatPlanet Map Maker also converts data into bar charts and graphs, which is nice, but doesn't feel like a truly essential feature. This entire program offers an interesting tool for mapmaking, but we feel the amount of work involved may limit its appeal.
StatPlanet Map Maker is freeware. It comes as a compressed file. This cartography software may have a few slight flaws, but it still offers an exciting functionality, and we recommend it.
StatPlanet is a free award-winning* application for creating fully customizable interactive maps and graphs, with both online and desktop versions. Data can be imported automatically, so new interactive maps can be created within minutes. Maps are completely customizable. Use the included World or USA maps, design your own maps using the Flash template, or load ESRI shapefiles using StatPlanet Plus. StatPlanet can be used to create simple thematic maps as well as more advanced interactive infographics with different graph & chart options, multiple indicators, and a time slider with the option to animate both the map and the graph over time. Supported map types are quantitative choropleth maps, qualititative (descriptive) maps and proportional symbol maps. All map and interface colors can be customized. The included Excel-based data editor can be used to automatically import data from virtually any data source. No programming knowledge is required.
What's new in this version:
- New improved interface
- Support for categorical (qualitative/descriptive) maps
- Many new customization options
- South Sudan and Kosovo added to World Map edition
More Products to Consider
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Create your own map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Display subliminal messages on your desktop.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Draw graphs for mathematical functions.
- Translate documents, web pages among 53 languages, and access 1...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Learn to read music and play solfege through assisted practice.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Get a unique learning experience for technical books and course...
- Get a unique learning experience for technical education.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Work with digital maps and import vectorial data from different...
- Get a unique learning experience for XML technology.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get up-to-the-minute, detailed earthquake information.
- Perform time-resolved fluorescence anisotropy decay analysis.
- Create your own maps or import digital ones from other applicat...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Gather statistics on your stress level based on your computer a...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"great product, no shapefile support"
Version: StatPlanet Map Maker 2.41
very intuitive an easy to import data and many customization option
shapefile maps cannot be use in free version
"Easy to use"
Version: StatPlanet Map Maker 1.2
Easy to use product, no programming required, simple to add data, works online and offline
Currently no option to export the maps
Good easy to use creator of thematic maps
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: