CNET Editors' review
Start8 brings back the familiar start button to make your transition to Windows 8 a little bit easier. The first thing you'll notice when firing up your new Windows 8 PC is the lack of a Start button. For design reasons, Microsoft has removed the old Start menu in favor of the new Metro Start screen. Start8 aims to bring it back and help you make your move to the new Windows without compromising productivity.
The installation is light and fast, and setting up takes almost no time at all. Setup will ask whether you prefer the original Windows 7 style Start menu or the Windows 8 style, which is the incorporation of the Metro user interface into the menu. From then on, everything is optional and customizable. You can change the Start menu behaviors, font, icon sizes, color, style, and which shortcuts you want Start8 to display. Documents, Music, and Pictures folders are back to where they belong (pre-Windows 8) and so is the search bar. In addition of giving you wider control over the Start menu, Start8 lets you customize the Start button icon to any of the included icons or your own custom images.
The free trial gives you 30 days to play, tweak, and set everything up just the way you like it before asking you to purchase the full version for $4.99. PC Users without a touch screen (which the Start screen was designed for) or who rely on the Start Button to navigate through their programs and files will appreciate Start8 bringing the familiar features and functionality back to the latest Windows operating system.
Start8 returns the same Windows 7-style Start menu you have depended upon, while adding enhancements just for Windows 8. Quickly access your applications, devices, music, videos and documents the way you always have with Start 8.
Features include a Windows 7-style Start menu with Windows 8 enhancements; search for Windows 8-style (Modern UI) apps; pin desktop and Metro apps; boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop; or make the Windows 8 Start screen accessible from the Start menu.
What's new in this version: Version 1.31 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Turn off the start screen of Windows Eight and return to the Wi...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Change Windows start menu program to open programs and document...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Turn your Windows user interface to Windows 8 metro design.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Improve your productivity with desktop customization tools (500...
- Add Start button and start menu to Windows8.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Desktop World Clock with world map. Unlimited number of clocks.
- Enjoy the traditional start menu style of Windows 7 with the po...
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Show real-world usage scenarios of the controls on your Windows...
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 49 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Start8 1.31
Very useful since it gives us back the features that were gone with arrival of Windows 8-8.1.
Price - this kind of app should be free for windows users
I think it is absolutely rude that the users on whom the Microsoft and Windows were built on were taken the basic feature of the software they used for past several decades. I have bought windows 8 laptop with touchscreen however as someone said above, there are lots of us who use windows for more serious work than playing around on the internet. Metro ought to be on tablets and there's no way it should be default OS on PC - but an option. And I have to say out loud that we - the customers should be paid back for software like this because we were forced to have the worst windows ever that came with new computers. And this behavior just ruins all the rights of customers all over the world who must buy either more expensive Apple or just be forced to buy new computers with a total disaster OS like Windows 8. It's still a mystery for me why with an upgrade windows 8.1 haven't come with normal start menu - probably they have to make lost money back on app like this....good app but I am a really angry customer - SHAME on WIN 8-8.1 and the whole company's attitude.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content