CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
The bottom line: A great perk for Spotify devotees with Premium accounts, Spotify Mobile allows mobile streaming and offline playback of your favorite music.
Spotify's free mobile app is a cinch to set up. Provided you're signed up for a Spotify Premium account ($10 a month), all you need to do is type in your log-in and password, and your favorite music and playlists automatically populate the screen. Spotify users without Premium accounts may log in to the app and look around, but are prevented from streaming or syncing music.
Spotify Mobile's user interface is simple and unobtrusive. Your starred tracks and playlists are listed, along with your inbox and local music collection. Dive into a playlist and you'll see options to take the listed music offline, shuffle playback, edit the playlist order, share the playlist with others, or open the playlist up for collaboration.
The four persistent tabs running across the bottom of the screen let you quickly jump between playlists (the default view), song search, What's New (new and top songs), and settings. Any currently playing song is shown with full-screen album art, with basic track controls and buttons for "hide" and "more info."
Features and support
Just like the desktop software, Spotify Mobile's big trick is its search box, which points you to full song streams of almost any reasonably popular artist, song, or album in existence. You can't get The Beatles, but we had no problem finding greats like The Rolling Stones and David Bowie, as well as obscure indies such as The Ghastly Ones or Four Tet.
Put simply, you tell it what you want to hear, and it plays it for you, provided that you're coughing up $10 for Spotify's Premium plan. It doesn't play something similar to the song you want (like Pandora), or a 30- to 60-second clip of the song you want (like iTunes)--it plays you the whole song or album, just as if it were in your personal music collection, commercial-free.
Of course, there are a few other bells and whistles that make Spotify its own special thing. Integration with Facebook and Twitter allows you to easily share music discoveries with friends. More importantly, the app also allows you to cache your favorite music and playlists for offline listening.
Fans of Spotify's full desktop software may be disappointed to see that not all of the software's capabilities have made it over to the mobile app. The What's New tab is limited to a bite-size selection of what's hot and trending. The same goes for your social network of Spotify friends, of whom only a handful are shown, based on most recent activity. Artist profiles, similar artist listings, and related song breakdowns by common decade are all absent.
We had no issue with Spotify's default sound quality (96-160Kbps Ogg Vorbis), but you can dig into the software's Preferences and enable high-quality streaming (320Kbps Ogg Vorbis).
Furthermore, you can select separate quality settings for streaming and downloaded (cached) content. By default, stream quality is set to Low Bandwidth (96-160Kbps Ogg Vorbis) and Sync quality is set to High Quality (320Kbps Ogg Vorbis).
Spotify's mobile app offers premium subscribers a bite-size version of the service to take on the go. We wish Spotify would throw something in for users with free accounts, similar to Pandora's ad-supported app. Still, the app costs nothing to download and works well on multiple mobile platforms.
From Spotify Ltd.:
What's new in this version: New: See your friends' playlists! Browse their list of published playlists, listen, and subscribe to their music. New: Spotify is now available with a German localization. New: Inbox has a new design which shows messages, and can receive albums, artists and playlists in addition to tracks. New: Support for spotify:user: links Fixed: Spotify would sometimes crash when unplugging headphones Improved: When sharing to friends, the list of friends is sorted by initial Improved: Playlists that don't b... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Mobile Tracker FREE lets you locate mobile phones from any prov...
- Tom is your pet cat, that responds to your touch and repeats ev...
- Take your iPhone, iPod, or iPad camera into the past with some ...
- EPIC NEW FEATURES You can now customize Tom's appearance by buy...
- Distort, fatten, pinch, and stylize your camera with real-time ...
- Dont be fooled by imitators - this is the original Cell Phone T...
- Make music anywhere you go with full features touch instruments...
- Video Tube: Watch YouTube like you are used to! Access the worl...
- Watch your Favorite ABC Shows on demmand.
- Jailbreak for iPhones, iPods Touch & iPads of all versions with...
- 225 Emoticons & 225 Gif Animation Emoticons9 Categories: Crazy ...
- This is the Internationally SuccessfulAll Mobile Tracker System...
- Pandora Radio is your own free personalized radio now available...
- FUN BODY SCANNER: UNDRESS PEOPLE AND SEE THROUGH THEIR CLOTHES!...
- Instaframe helps you Combine your photos creatively with text a...
- Upload and display song lyrics in a karaoke-like style.
- Listen instantly to your choice of over 15 million full-length ...
- Listen to Pandora on your desktop with this sleek menu bar appl...
- My official mobile app is now available! Stream past recorded s...
- Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming right onto your dev...
- ITweetMyTunes is the missing linkl between iTunes and Twitter.I...
- People. Places. Playlists. Dukebox is a peer-driven playlist th...
- A lullaby is a soothing song, usually sung to young children be...
- Lyric Finder fills in lyrics for songs in your iTunes library. ...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Easy to use, and works well!"
Version: Spotify 0.4.20
I stumbled across this app in Apples App Store while originally looking for Pandora. I read about it, liked what I read, so figured I'd give it a try since I hadn't found Pandora yet. I am still using the app 5 weeks later. I never did continue my search for Pandora, and I've been quite happy with Spotify!
Haven't any real issues so far.
I would recommend this app to friends, family and co workers! It can cost, but it does have a FREE option. Of course you won't have all of the features and functions available in the free version!BTW I am no longer using this app, as I recently found "Songza" and it is far better and you get all of the songs.
Updated on Feb 13, 2013
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content