CNET Editors' review
SpeedyPainter is a free, open-source painting and drawing app that lives up to its name, thanks, in part, to its basic features and layout. It's not aimed at Photoshop but at Paint and similar lightweight graphics tools. SpeedyPainter features multiple layers, supports pressure-sensitive digitizers, such as Wacom pen tablets, and crops images, copies selections, and performs other basic image editing tasks. It has some interesting features, too, such as a Perspective Mode and a neat color wheel that's much faster than the Windows color picker, and it records the drawing processes for playback or export. But we've seen other freeware graphics tools that offer much more than SpeedyPainter, including some that come close to Photoshop. And SpeedyPainter needs a functional touch or two to make it competitive in a crowded field.
Like many similar apps, SpeedyPainter's interface takes clues from Photoshop, such as the tool palette on the left, although SpeedyPainter's doesn't float. SpeedyPainter's layout is uncluttered, with unmarked sliders for varying brush size, opacity, and hardness. A brush icon in the upper corner opened more brush settings. The main settings are minimal -- not much beyond interface language and color. We clicked the "Load Image" button, but we couldn't browse higher than our C drive, which was an issue since we keep media on a separate drive. Dragging and dropping an image into SpeedyPainter worked, as did typing in the correct directory, but you shouldn't have to in a tool that runs in Windows XP to 8. Still, we were able to open several images (in separate windows) and cropped, painted, selected, copied, and performed other basic editing tasks, often with hot keys. The cool part starts when you press the Drawing Process playback arrow: SpeedyPainter automatically records your actions so you can save them, play them back, or even post them on YouTube.
Like the name says, SpeedyPainter is fast, thanks to its hot key-oriented functionality and basic toolkit. Its playback feature, perspective grid, and quick sharing capability make it a good choice for training and instructional use, but look elsewhere for that not-so-elusive Photoshop clone.
From Andrea Buzzelli:
Speedy Painter is an OpenGL based painting software. Features include: reference view that follows canvas movements; export drawing process into a video: ready to upload it on YouTube; multiple layers; ability to vary stroke size and/or opacity according to pen pressure (supports Wacom digitizers); replay of drawing process; import or export drawing process; loading of most common image formats; canvas rotation; canvas flip; selection mask; image crop; perspective grid overlay.
What's new in this version: Version 3.2.2:
- Bucket fill tool.
- Gradient tool.
- Improved rotation tool, center of rotation is always at the center of the RenderArea.
- Bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View AutoCAD DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings, save views to JPEG ima...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Learn how to translate a Windows DIB for OpenGL use.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Get an easy-to-use drawing software with innovative features.
- Edit your images using various painting and drawing tools.
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Analyze, enhance, and share your rich information with ease, pr...
- Draw with unequaled ease and comfort on high resolution documen...
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Master the management and presentation of your information.
- Convert PDF documents to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Sketch and paint any thing you like.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Draw, edit, enhance digital pictures.
- Modify your own digital photos.
- Print, e-mail, and save your T-shirts designs all from your des...
- View angels, hearts and roses creating artwork for Valentine's ...
- Help your children in creation of vivid pictures with some funn...
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Use a drawing and image manipulation program on your Pocket PC.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content